Undercoating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikes07kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody done or though about undercoating their jeep. Not just for mud or water but for the salt and everyday grit on the roads. I always wash mine real good but was thinking about something extra to protect against rust.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I got the cans of undercoating when I bought mine and did everything I could see and spray into

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had mine professionally done at delivery new from factory. Now I just touch up and hit spots with the cans of 3M.

If you have rust already you need to wire brush and clean it all, then coat it. Its a great thing to do in the summer or early fall, but at this point it may be too late for the year.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago vehicles used to come from the factory undercoated. They don't anymore. I don't know why.

On one autobody forum I was surfing I read that manufactures stopped doing it because it was just trapping in moisture and causing premature rust out.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My is undercoated,I'm from South Dakota and all new vehicles must be undercoated before leaving the dealership.I actually undercoated my own KJ since I pulled it of the transport and did the dealer prep package before I thought about buying it.Most dealers back home charge about $120 to undercoat,it's not the cheap stuff that you buy in rattle can either and is sprayed on much,much thicker.

On one autobody forum I was surfing I read that manufactures stopped doing it because it was just trapping in moisture and causing premature rust out.
Just a cost issue,undercoating stops corrosion if applied to a rust free surface.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best thing is to get a full winter service, they undercoat and also apply application inside doors and frame rails.

Again, only really does anything to a rust free surface, so if you have rust you have a lot of work to do first. Of course, if you are in a heavy salt area, something is better than nothing

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I bought my jeep oct 08 and I think mine might be undercoated, but a lady had it before me she was a nurse. I seriously doubt she had it done but idk, like the only things that seem to be coated are like the frame and the underbody nothing on parts like the skids ****** tcase or anything like that idk why or how it was done but theres no rust so...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my jeep oct 08 and I think mine might be undercoated, but a lady had it before me she was a nurse. I seriously doubt she had it done but idk, like the only things that seem to be coated are like the frame and the underbody nothing on parts like the skids ****** tcase or anything like that idk why or how it was done but theres no rust so...
The skids,axles,trans,and such should not be undercoated,only the underside of the unibody only.

mikes07kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust is not an issue and I want to keep it that way. Whats a good brand to buy as far as undercoating products. I know the guys up the street at dunlops so I can use a bay and get my car up on a lift, will make it a lot easier to do.

Did I say car I meant jeep.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used QuakerState undercoating,though you need a special applicator gun and buy the stuff in 30 gallon drums only.

Otherwise use 3M's rubberized undercoating,you will need about 10-12 cans at least and will need to touchup often(best out there for private use but not near the quality as industrial stuff).Do not coat the engine,trans,t-case,axles,any suspension parts,bushings,driveshafts,CV shafts,exhaust,and any exposed bolt threads.

Latest posts

Members online