Undercarriage firewall/insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under my Jeep the other day and noticed part of the firewall or insulation has peeled off and was hanging down near the transfer case. It seems the glue holding it has given up and now its hanging loosely.

My question is how important is this? Would I be ok to just cut it off completely or should I try and glue it back. Its pretty old and weather beaten. It crumbles apart in my fingers when I touch it.

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is that if the engineers thought there should be insulation it is probably needed. Be warned that is fiberglass and it itches like a motherf.........

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Attached is a picture of what im talking about. Its so weather beaten im not sure how much id even be able to salvage. Id need some serious, heat resistant glue, too.

Attachments

• Resized_20170205_1058491.jpg
    Resized_20170205_1058491.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 30

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, ok then. Seems I should keep it. Id rather replace it but I have no idea where id buy the insulation from. Does anyone know of a suitable glue that would hold out under high temps? thanks

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
55176792AD is the part # for the heat shield.
Mine is torn too, but not that bad.

Gyro