Uh oh!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyMan02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've not even had my Jeep a month and It already has a big issue. Vid says it all. (sorry for the upside down). I'm seriously thinking it is the timing chains and tensioners. Already have most of the front belt train stuff off. Need as much advice and info/pics as possible. Really love the Jeep. Ran fine yesterday morning. Drove back and all the sudden its making a terrible clatter from the front part of the engine. Engine sounds fine from the exhaust.
http://vid1163.photobucket.com/albums/q554/IDIdieselnut/IMG_4430_zpsrlih2ukm.mp4

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very well could be timing chain tensioners (secondary). Mine made a similar terrible clatter before changing them, but the chains were fine. I was doing the HGs anyway so just changed the secondary tensioners while I was in there (rock auto). Could be a flaky Lash Adjuster. Mine does it now and then but it's more of a tapping.

How's your OCI? I'd try dumping a half bottle of Seafoam in the oil and see if it helps. Run it for 300-500 miles and change the oil. Might just have some sludge issues.

Last edited:

LibertyMan02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply. I don't get to my computer to Sundays. :emotions34: Yes it is the exact same noise as yours. Thankfully, I caught the problem when I pulled up to my dad's shop for the business he owns(and I work for) so He said to park it right inside.(stuffed between a backhoe and a utility truck.LOL) Se we got to it and about 2 hrs had the front cover off. It was the tensioners. So, what is the best place to get the tensioners? What else should I replace while I'm in this deep? I know we will do a complete vehicle fluid and oil change.(engine oil, front and rear diffs, trans/Tcase, P steering, Brake, etc) It needed a coolant flush something fierce. Gonna go with new spark plugs as well. I know it says what plugs to use on the rad support. Is that the best ones to use?

Attachments

• IMG_4435.jpg
    IMG_4435.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4431.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4432.jpg
    IMG_4432.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4434.jpg
    IMG_4434.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 33

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The silver lining within the dark cloud of "new Jeep" problems is that once you get it straightened out you will know what you've got and that it was done right. You're well on the way, even if it may not seem like it right now. :waytogo:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd get a good timing cover gasket set for sure. And replace the crank seal with a mopar. Other than that check the guides for cracks but they are a lifetime item. Are you doing the primary or just the secondary tensioners? I only replaced the secondaries. I'd go with Mopar if I had to do it again but I actually used Cloyes from Rock auto and no problems.

LibertyMan02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the advice. What I need now ASAP is the procedure from someone who has replaced both tensioners. Pics will help. Its looking like I'm gonna have to take all the sprockets off! ugh! I got the pas. valve cover off. What will be involved to do this? Should I just do the primary which broke, or do the secondary too? I'm gonna try to follow this mobile as I'll be referencing and taking pics. Please help.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 16
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 16