Ugh... Rocker damage.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

It's kinda funny. I just got back from The grocery store, and decided it would be a good Idea to drive over a snow bank... The bank had a huge ice chunk in it, and I banged up my driver side rocker panel pretty good. It's dark out there, so I can't tell exactly... But I do know that it is smashed up noticeably towards the back, and the little plastic piece at the bottom of the wheel well is snapped off. From about the middle of the back door forward is untouched. Also, the paint is chipped. I knew I should have gotten the boulder bars.:eek:

Anyhow, I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow, but has anyone had to deal with this? How much am I looking at paying a body shop to fix it? If it's too much I'll just touch it up myself so it doesn't rust... after all, it IS a jeep. Also, I saw a sweet set of rock sliders over on LOST that I might try to replicate to just cover it up...

Last edited:

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
touch it up and buy some rock rails.. straight pinch weld if necessary to get the rock rails to fit :).. corry PA isnt too far from me. let me know if you want to wheel sometime..

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are those pics.... and the body shop quoted me at $1140 for the repair, so I'm probably just going to be touching it up.

The quote said 500 for the rocker panel piece to weld in, but I Called around and found one for 150... So If I can find a confident friend to help me, I'll just do the work myself, but more than likely I'll just touch it up and get a set of rock rails.

Attachments

• IMAGE_043.jpg
    IMAGE_043.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAGE_044.jpg
    IMAGE_044.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 54

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez... $1140 to fix THAT?!?

Then again... body shop rates these days are outrageous.
That's pretty cheap actually.Replacing rockers are a royal bbbbiiiittttcccchhhh.Not a easy job at all,lots of spot welds to cut,moving metal out of the way,pulling the rocker panel out,putting new panel in,bending metal back into pace,weld in place,and so on.It's a 2 day job if your good.

Good luck with the repair,it will be fun for sure:D.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say sand+re-paint the area, replace that plastic piece and call it good. Get a set of rocker rails that wrap up around the rocker to hide it and to keep it from happening again.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I say sand+re-paint the area, replace that plastic piece and call it good. Get a set of rocker rails that wrap up around the rocker to hide it and to keep it from happening again.

I'm with JeepJeepster!
Trail rash!
Just think, if you hadn't told all of us here, you could of made up some gnarly story of some super cool off road trip and nobody would of known differently! :D
Save face!
But I admirer your honesty!

Speaking from experience, unintentional body damage caused by oneself due to lack of precaution taken really does suck! :D
That $1100.00 spent to "fix" the said problem can be spent on other cool mods!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your adding rock rails you will be removing the plastic piece to attach the rails to your pince weld any way, so just pull it off now and pull the other side too.

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cheap actually.Replacing rockers are a royal bbbbiiiittttcccchhhh.Not a easy job at all,lots of spot welds to cut,moving metal out of the way,pulling the rocker panel out,putting new panel in,bending metal back into pace,weld in place,and so on.It's a 2 day job if your good.

Good luck with the repair,it will be fun for sure:D.

he's right.. plus a lot of times they are filled with foam.. welding+foam=fire. and you have to remove both doors and deal with the door pillar to make it fit correctly. then dont forget to grind all the welds and then sand blast them, and then fill them, then prime them, then seal them, then paint them, then clear them... all of which is sculpted and done by hand :D people that think body shops are over paid should work in one.. time's not free botha :)

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
he's right.. plus a lot of times they are filled with foam.. welding+foam=fire. and you have to remove both doors and deal with the door pillar to make it fit correctly. then dont forget to grind all the welds and then sand blast them, and then fill them, then prime them, then seal them, then paint them, then clear them... all of which is sculpted and done by hand :D people that think body shops are over paid should work in one.. time's not free botha :)

When I was in tech school, my classroom was right next to the autobody classroom.

Believe me, body shops aren't paid enough. The sheer fact that their labor rates are cheaper than dealership service departments is beyond me.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez... $1140 to fix THAT?!?

Then again... body shop rates these days are outrageous.

Dude, you can't walk into a body shop and say "good morning" without it costing you $900. That's probably about right.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yeah I made that first post then I remembered all the cussing fits that went on across the hall from me later when I made the 2nd one... :D

Dang I miss that school. :( I wonder if I can teach there or something. lol

hollysprings

Reaction score
Yeah, that's just love marks, paint it a different color to prevent the rust and be proud of it. And if ice did that, now you know a little how the Titanic felt.