UCA removal on ABS 02

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a few good suggestions in the "What did you do today..." thread but Figured I'd better start a new thread for this one.

Anyone out there have any suggestions for the front left/d-side UCA rear bolt on an ABS vehicle. Just went out and felt around under the ABS manifold. There seems like enough room around the bolt and nut but getting there is the problem. I do have a good collection of extensions and swivels.

Sure wish I had to change them last spring when I had the heads off.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a better way, but I removed the bolts holding the box to the inner fender, laid a long extension across gap between engine and fender, then used a piece of .035 welding wire to hold box up as high as lines would allow. That created sufficient room beneath it to access bolts.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a better way, but I removed the bolts holding the box to the inner fender, laid a long extension across gap between engine and fender, then used a piece of .035 welding wire to hold box up as high as lines would allow. That created sufficient room beneath it to access bolts.

Thanks! That sounds like a good plan to me. Should give me a path from the front. Don't need much space and those lines should have a bit of flex to them. I'm going to spray everything down with some PB blaster today and poke around a bit more. These UCAs look original with 170k on them.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only been doing this schist professionally since Christ was a corporal. I'm sure a couple of long time experts will have a superior method.

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a few good suggestions in the "What did you do today..." thread but Figured I'd better start a new thread for this one.

Anyone out there have any suggestions for the front left/d-side UCA rear bolt on an ABS vehicle. Just went out and felt around under the ABS manifold. There seems like enough room around the bolt and nut but getting there is the problem. I do have a good collection of extensions and swivels.

Sure wish I had to change them last spring when I had the heads off.

When I replaced my UCA on the left side of the vehicle (Drivers) I had to remove the whole battery tray. FYI it's not the most fun but it gives you access to the bolts to get the UCA out. :emotions34:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my UCA on the left side of the vehicle (Drivers) I had to remove the whole battery tray. FYI it's not the most fun but it gives you access to the bolts to get the UCA out. :emotions34:

Yes, this is before "jacking up"the ABS box.

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, this is before "jacking up"the ABS box.

Yep, I will definitely have to pull the battery box. That'll probably make the left front bolt way easier too. Speaking of the front left bolt, looks like I'll have to remove the 10mm bolt holding the brakeline connector bracket to the wheel well too. Then I can move the line a bit. Otherwise that front bolt will be tough to remove with the brakeline right there.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I will definitely have to pull the battery box. That'll probably make the left front bolt way easier too. Speaking of the front left bolt, looks like I'll have to remove the 10mm bolt holding the brakeline connector bracket to the wheel well too. Then I can move the line a bit. Otherwise that front bolt will be tough to remove with the brakeline right there.

Should only be an hour or so of your time, don't know what your skill set is... My labor book calls for an hour on the left side. Really isn't too bad of a job just a bit time consuming :gr_grin:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should only be an hour or so of your time, don't know what your skill set is... My labor book calls for an hour on the left side. Really isn't too bad of a job just a bit time consuming :gr_grin:

Yes, I don't think it will take much longer than an hour or so IF I can get that bolt out. I tend to take my time and savor the process. I'd never make a good pro mechanic where time is money.

Also, my KJ isn't nearly as rusty under there as my Ford Ranger was when I did the front UCAs and lower ball joints last year. That was a project. Just wishing I had done these UCAs last spring when I pulled the heads to replace the HGs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much have it, not that bad at all to do
If not rusted etc everything should come out easily with the various items listed being unbolted etc 30 minutes should have you with new one in