U-Joint question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with replacing u-joints on the Liberty?

sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okaykopkrab.gif

You all know there are 2 u-joints on a KJ right? If you want to get technical there are 4 u-joints right from the factory.

I thought only 2 on the rear shaft, are there u-joints on the front shaft as well? I thought people were starting to do u-joint conversions on the front?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought only 2 on the rear shaft, are there u-joints on the front shaft as well? I thought people were starting to do u-joint conversions on the front?
Nope,not on the front driveshaft,look closely under the hood and you will find the other 2 u-joints(hint look at the lower drivers side front area).

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the other two would be in the steering shaft down to the rack. Did I win a prize??:D:D

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Section 3-9 of the 2006 FSM shows the U-Joints on the rear propeller shaft... The front shaft joints are covered with rubber boots, and are being called CV joints, not U-Joints. This is for the 2006 so, it may be different for older models?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Section 3-9 of the 2006 FSM shows the U-Joints on the rear propeller shaft... The front shaft joints are covered with rubber boots, and are being called CV joints, not U-Joints. This is for the 2006 so, it may be different for older models?
The other 2 u-joints are the 2 on the steering shaft,same for all years of KJ's.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other 2 u-joints are the 2 on the steering shaft,same for all years of KJ's.

Ok so I woulda sworn up and down that there was only 2....the ones on the main driveshaft......errrr propeller shaft per the FSM. So I woulda been wrong.

I even replaced a rear universal once on a truck I had and the replacement even had a zerk in it.........wow, the old days of zerks and manual locking hubs.

Dave

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
U-joints on the steering shaft, sure, but the poster was referring to drive-line shafts right? For which there are only two, on the main drive shaft, the front is CV Joints. The poster wants to know how hard it is to replace the U-joints, well, I would have concluded he only meant drive-shaft ones.

sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U-joints on the steering shaft, sure, but the poster was referring to drive-line shafts right? For which there are only two, on the main drive shaft, the front is CV Joints. The poster wants to know how hard it is to replace the U-joints, well, I would have concluded he only meant drive-shaft ones.

Thanks man, I was referring to the driveshaft. I did replace the U-joint over the weekend and wow, what a difference. No more vibes.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks man, I was referring to the driveshaft. I did replace the U-joint over the weekend and wow, what a difference. No more vibes.

SO, how hard are they to replace? I was looking at the FSM, and it looks like it's easier than on older vehicles. They pop out once you remove the cap? Then put the new ones in, and put the caps back on?

sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO, how hard are they to replace? I was looking at the FSM, and it looks like it's easier than on older vehicles. They pop out once you remove the cap? Then put the new ones in, and put the caps back on?

That is basically how you do it. remove the pins wack one side out to free the cap then same on other side to free from Yoke then do same on driveshaft side.

Here is a how to I found..BTW I really didn't know what a U joint was till about 2 weeks ago! haha

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint2/ujoint-1.htm