Troubleshooting squeaky noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I made a thread about this a while back and got some ideas but never really resolved anything because I didnt make it a priority at the time so Id like to ask again:

The 05 limited is making a squeaky/chirping noise related to wheel speed. Most noticeable at low speed, not sure if it goes away or just gets unnoticeable above 10-15 mph. Seems to be coming from the front brake area but not sure.

Later this week, I'm going to put it on the lift and try to track down this problem while taking care of some other work so I have a few questions.
I think I have a good feel for what to look for in the brakes department, as well as looking around for rubbing stuff that shouldnt be rubbing, but theres a few other things that have been mentioned that I'm not sure how to inspect for:

How do I inspect CV joints/axles?
How do I inspect U-joints?
Anything else I should look at while I'm down there?

Tarikleesimsek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. It's the dry bushings. Don't get them lubed because it's will only prevent temporary. That's what I did and I still have the problem. I am going to get new bushings. By the way if you still want to lube it you should use silicone based lubricant because others are not rubber friendly.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If it goes with wheel speed its not bushings........
bushing only when hitting curbs, bumps etc
silicone spray works great mines got 160,000 miles and still orginal bushings in the sway bar, I just take care of them each oil change
for the rear driveshaft u joints drive it a ways then put your hand close to the ujoint, most times these rust up and will get hot if bad.
Also check the rear boot on the front driveshaft it could also be that
start there and check those things and let us know

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case it had not been done before, U/joints must be changed! Stock ones are surely (well, 99%) toast.
Mmc, You'll be surprised of what You'll see when disassemblig them... ( no grease and a lot of grit :eek:).
IMHO maintenance-free U/Joints make sense only if sealed ( but then removal is :favorites68:), not with traditional
removable clips.
Mines died at about 35k.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found lots of rust on the rotors, banged that off best I could.
Found the forward U-joint on the prop shaft is broken...fixing that this afternoon.

When I turn the wheels by hand, the rear P side makes a little grinding noise...not sure if its rust from the rotors moving around in there, or maybe a bearing problem? There is some noise on the D side as well, but definitely more on the P side.

opelboy

Reaction score
my front rotors rusted up and squeaked like you say. cleaning them up with an electric sander helped. think next time ill get better grade rotors that arent supposed to rust as bad.
my rear grinds because when i removed the rear rotors i hit the dust shields a little and theres spots that touch the rotor now. i tried prying it all away but seems like no matter how much clearance i have theres somewhere touching idk???