Trouble Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the last month I have noticed some difficulty when turning the Jeep on, it turns on but you can feel a bit of a vibrating rumble, like it was having difficulty staying turned on, and i thought to myself, that doesn't feel right. This started a few weeks ago and today leaving work, it wouldn't start. It would start for a split second and turn off. So now im thinking, OK - that problem i could feel starting a few weeks ago has finally caught up. The engine shut off but the radio and everything else stayed on, so that tells me its not a battery issue. Other thing i was thinking it could be is maybe i should change the spark plugs, I bought it used, 04 with 80K on it just this summer. Im pretty sure the previous owners never did any upkeep on it, so i doubt the plugs have ever been changed.

Would that be something to definitely check? What else could be going on, has anyone experienced this before?

Oh yea, so when it wouldn't start today, i Kept the key turned all the way longer than usual, gave it a few revs and i managed to get home.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have the battery checked first
You can have enough power for the radio at times but the battery not have enough juice to power the computer and everything . So I'd start there
If you're not sure of the maintenance then yes start by doing the plugs ( copper core only nothing fancy or expensive) then start doing rest of the routine maintenance items, grab a air filter / PCV as well when you get the plugs

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO here I am a year later, and still having this starting issue. It seems to happen when the weather is cold outside...but when the engine is hot...

half an hour ago it wouldn't start. Left it for a few minutes, tried it again and it got going, however if i hadn't have given it some gas it would've died again. From here i took a 20min drive to get the battery tested and was told its better than good.

Voltage: 12.70V
Measured: 758CCA
Rated: 600CCA
Temp: 33ºC

I replaced the plugs when I first posted this thread, and the ones i took out were really bad. I put regular copper plugs in and made sure they were gapped correctly. I haven't checked on them since, maybe i should do that now.

Maybe someone could shed some light on what to check next as I have no idea? DO i replace the starter...?

I have some engine codes coming up, 2 Transmission (P0700 & 0734):favorites68: & one i just noticed today (P0522) <-- Could that one have anything to do with this?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When they checked the battery, did they also check your charging system?

As for the problem of starting and then dying, I would start with cleaning the throttle body and idle air control.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Charging system, it was a place I knew that was advertising to test the battery for free, extra $35 for the rest to be checked and they were about to close. I can go back and do that tomorrow though..I've been reading up on the symptoms lately and throttle body has come up a lot so I'll try that too and post back with an update. Thanks !

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you cleaned the IAC & ports?
It is responsible for idle and can offer up some difficulty starting if the plunger is sticking.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the PCV valve, cleaned the throttle body & replaced the IAC & TPS sensors.

I put the TPS Sensor back upside down...does it matter which way around it is?

I took it for a spin around the block right after & immediately noticed better throttle response, however from the get go my RPMs are higher than normal. When starting in Park, normally I would idle at 1000 then drop down to 850ish if I sit for a while. Now when I start it idles at 1300 and doesn't seem to want to drop any lower than that. When I change from D to P or R, it revs louder than normal as well. is this normal after cleaning a throttle body? or is it because I put that sensor on upside down?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the PCV valve, cleaned the throttle body & replaced the IAC & TPS sensors.

I put the TPS Sensor back upside down...does it matter which way around it is?

I took it for a spin around the block right after & immediately noticed better throttle response, however from the get go my RPMs are higher than normal. When starting in Park, normally I would idle at 1000 then drop down to 850ish if I sit for a while. Now when I start it idles at 1300 and doesn't seem to want to drop any lower than that. When I change from D to P or R, it revs louder than normal as well. is this normal after cleaning a throttle body? or is it because I put that sensor on upside down?

If it is idling higher my bet is switch that sensor around to the correct side.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it right side up and everything is back to normal.
Hopefully these changes will fix my problems, I'll know if it worked tomorrow & post back.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seemed to work temporarily... for the first 2 days it seems like things were back to normal. Just yesterday leaving work it hesitated to start again, & would've died if I hadn't give it some gas.

I don't think this is to do with short trips anymore since this is how it happened:

My girlfriend picks me up from work, she drives about 20min to get to me and usually has the jeep turned off for 10min or so while she waits for me in the parking lot. I get in and start it up...and it shutters/rumbles and dies unless I give it some gas. Sometimes I don't have the chance to give it gas before it dies.
I Feel like this might have something to do with how something is operating(or not operating) when the vehicle is hot...I really have no idea though.

What do I check next? I'll try to capture some footage of my problem this afternoon....

Last edited:

rbm92226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the IAC valve on the throttle body. It gets full of carbon build up and can effect warm starts. Just cleaned mine out today. Liberty TC had a nice how to posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle Body was taken apart a few days ago, scrubbed with a toothbrush & TB Cleaner. ALL sensors replaced too. K&N Air filter was washed & oiled (lightly) too.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not throwing any CEL indicators?

Have you considered the fuel filter, pump, or pressure regulator?

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no lights on the dash, I was considering having a fuel pressure test done, would this determine if there is a problem with the Pump, Filter or regulator?
Before I start I have gotten into the habit of turning it on first, and I can hear the pump in the back turning on. I read somewhere on this forum doing this helps the gas go down the lines....

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how about the crankshaft position sensor?

Read a similar forum on a different vehicle which described the same symptoms..maybe worth trying a new one?

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a P0300 cel today, I guess I will take out all the plugs and see whats up. If plugs look fine, properly gapped etc...what do I do?

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the crankshaft position sensor. The engine will use that to determine if it needs to fire the plug on a cylinder, if it's not working or is working intermittently... well, no firing.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
got a P0300 cel today, I guess I will take out all the plugs and see whats up. If plugs look fine, properly gapped etc...what do I do?

I like the idea of the crankshaft position sensor. The engine will use that to determine if it needs to fire the plug on a cylinder, if it's not working or is working intermittently... well, no firing.

I'm thinking this might be worth a shot too. I've heard this can happen as the sensor is failing. Not a very expensive gamble. Might want to just unplug it and make sure the connection is clean. Maybe a little dielectric grease too.