Trip from PA to OK.. do i take the KJ or GTO???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What should i take? it's an 18.5 hour drive... almost 1200 miles one way. the trip will be started in the middle of march.. and i'll be returning the middle of may.
specs.

06 KJ 3.7 6 speed. 54,000 miles Frankenlifted with 4.10's and detroit in the rear. has been wheeled hard. Recently changed both front CV's, intermediate shaft, front driveshaft, rad, coolant, oil, rad hoses. has almost new BFG KM2's (265/75/16's).. takes regular gas and gets about 20mpg highway 16 city. I carry a full size spare and a lot of tools as well as 'what if' items... pretty much everything to fix anything on my jeep. The jeep drives perfect with no shakes, shimmys, or pulls.. smooth as glass. I've owned the jeep since it was new.

04 Pontiac GTO 5.7 L V8 6 speed, 60,000 miles. Recently changed, idler pully, water pump, rad hoses, thermostat, coolant, oil, new tires (high performance summer tires). has headers, catless exhaust, cold air intake, and tune. Has a donut for a spare.. no tools or 'what if' items. Takes premium gas but gets 24mpg highway 18 city. The GTO drives perfect with no shakes, shimmys, or pulls.. smooth as glass. bought the GTO wrecked and then fixed it.. have since put 12k miles on it.

online gas calculator says it will be about $60 cheaper to take the GTO even with premium gas.

GTO is more 'fun' to drive.. but has less room inside.. and is not very good in heavy rain.. almost undriveable in snow/ice. The seats are 100x more comfortable then the jeeps. its effortless to drive.

Jeep is a brick crap house.. unphased by any weather.. but does sail like boat in wind. most expensive even with cheap gas. No slouching seat position is more like a chair and pretty nice for a really long trip.

You must be registered for see images attach

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Jeep!!!

Still March...good chance of snow, ice or rain.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I want both of your vehicles. They are both very nice and clean man. Props.

2. I will drive whichever one you do not!

Seriously out of the few years of boy scouts I went through, one of the best things I got out of it was to be prepared. With the KJ you can do that. I plan on taking mine to AZ and back to help my sister move in May. Whichever one you go with I am sure you will have fun!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the KJ. Gotta love the amount of shit it can hold and the "what-if" tools are always the perfect touch.

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool cool.. although i'm kinda leaning towards taking the GTO... unless the forecast is snow/heavy rain for the trip. then i'll take the jeep :)

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much like you stated, if the weather supposed to be bad take the Jeep. Otherwise rock the goat:happy160: Sweet setup on the KJ!

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep is a brick crap house..

No slouching seat position is more like a chair and pretty nice for a really long trip.
I would strongly disagree with the KJ seating position. From day 1 I have always hated the front seats/seating position. It feels to me like I'm sitting on a tall, wooden bar stool. NOT comfortable at all....Especially on long trips.

But, my wife likes them and it's her truck! So...... :>)

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well drove the GTO. AWESOME road trip car. 1200 miles... averaged 25.5 mpg with the cruise set between 70 and 80 the entire way. The goat sure is a pleasure to drive on the highway for long distance.

Latest posts

Members online