Trimming rear flare/fender?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 245/70/r16's on 16x8 cragars 5" BS hit the rear flare and a little bit of the fender lip when I hit a large bump. No damage but a BAD noise. It appears that only about 1/8" of flare and a tiny bit on metal is in the way.

Has anyone cut away this area? Any hints?

Surprisingly they don't rub in the front.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trimmed the plastic flare about 3/4" and bent up the small metal lip. It seems to have helped but one side still hits when turning into a parking lot with a steep angle. There doesn't seem to be any damage, just a noise.

Does anyone else experience this?

Last edited:

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got any pics? I'm hoping to get mine mounted within the next weeks or so and I'm curious about where I'm gonna have to trim, too.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No pictures because I would be embarrassed by the hack job I did.

I simply used a cut off wheel and trimmed off where I could se the tires had rubbed. It was a small area at the top middle of the flare, only about 1/8" thick. Then I banged back the lip of sheet metal behind it just to be safe and sprayed the metal with Rustoleum.

I wouldn't use the cut off wheel-- it melted the plastic and loks crappy. Luckily it can't be seen. The plastic is harder to cut than you would think.

Now the pasenger side clears but the driver rear tire rubs on the very edge of the tread block. Could it be because of my weight? I'll probably throw on an extra spring isolator or 2.

Don't cut yours until you see if they rub. Most people seem to be ok. Mine must sit a little low in the rear. The fronts are fine.

If I had to do it over again I'd probably stick to stock size rims and not have any rubiing. Not a big deal though.

Latest posts

Members online