Transmission swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I am divorcing my old ****** for a younger one"......

Dave

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of looks like medusa

You must be registered for see images attach

Father in law broke this off im the engine bay connects from air box to something.

The front hose that i have a band clamp on the other end is where it broke. How screwed am i.

The massacre that is my garage.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would call this more than half way taking everything apart there is a learning curve. Like you work on taking the tcase off but then this has to come off first and this n that. So going back together shouldnt be as bad. I hope.....

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i have to replace it before i get driving it again i am guessing?

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And where it going into the crankcase will it cause any serious problems or just shoot some oil out here n there

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Water could get in if it's low enough...can you splice it back together and extend it?

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use heater hose for it for a temporary fix.. I ran it on mine for almost half a year and never had it collapse. Just gotta route it right.. cost me a dollar. Cam give you info if you want. But ended up not being too badly priced through Moparwholesale for a new one..

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info.

Trans went in literally in 5 minutes once we had it on the jack in place. Still have to bolt the torque converter up. The transfer case on the other hand gave me one hell of a time but its done its in there. Hooked all the shift cables sensors and the dipstic back up. Just got the starter trans support exhaust couple things under the hood and the drive shafts couple more hours another day and its done. Now i think i might understand why shops charge so much just to do a $500 rebuild kit.

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the day off yesterday. It was my volunteers birthday (father in law). Still got under there and painted some stuff i cant get to usually. Today is the day hope to wrap everything up and give her a test run.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So close yet so far. Wrestled with the last bits. Couldnt get the damn exhaust bolts back on. Couldnt get much fluid back in the transfer case. Only like 2 quarts thats not good. Then wanted to start it to get fluids going and it wouldnt start.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No click no tick no nothing. I am getting proper voltage at the battery i will have to cheack what i am getting at the starter. I didnt put the heat shield on that must me bit ha ha ha. I tried swapping around some relays didnt do anything. Whats up with the t case how am i going to get 5qts in there jack up the rear end?

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the transfer case requires less than 2 quarts. Once it starts dripping out of the fill hole you're fine.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense i must have imagined 5 quarts. Thought someone told me that or i read it somewhere. Cause i got alot of fluid out when i seperated it from the trans. When i drained i only got a quart or so.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably looks like i got plenty of atf4 left lol. Now for the no start. My father in law had shifted from park to neutral with the battery disconnected. We also cranked the motor by hand to get the torque converter lined up. Could any of these things cause it not to start now? How hard is it to change the crank shaft position sensor? Is that something we could have damaged?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to get her running like yesterday. My wife is going a little crazy locked up all day with a two year old. She might look sweet but things arent always sunshine and rainbows.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CKP is pretty easy to replace.
Sorry. I don't know if that's your issue.

no codes?

Also, you cannot start the jeep in neutral. Has to be in park.