Transmission swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is as the title reads. Within the next few weeks i will be dropping the transmission out of my KJ and putting in a remanufactured transmission from ShiftRite in Kankakee Il.

Link to Transmission

45RFE 5-45RFE 00-12 4X4 TRANSMISSION 4.7L 5.7L | Shift Rite Transmissions

So the fun begins when i drive out to pick it up June 12. Who has done this? What is needed? Any tips or tricks? Anything i should be very careful with?

I will be updating this post as i move forward with photos and other information.

Thanks for any insight.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck! I replaced my 42RLE in my yard on jack stands.

Best advice I got was from TwoBobs, I think, to get at least a 15" socket extension (I used a 15" and a 9" together) and wrap an universal joint with electrical tape to make it less wobbly, then the bolts at the top of the ****** are easy-peasy.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I did mine like leeann only on ramps in my shed height is your friend and the extension is a must on the socket as is a cradle to lower it down. The transfer case is a pig as well as it mates up twisted

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I bought the little transmission jack from HF on sale with a coupon. That thing paid for itself very quickly - I think I paid $45?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i am debating buying the trans jack or rigging somehing up with my two jacks and some wood. I know i am biting off alot but i am chewing slowly. So the transfer case is coming out too. I havnt done too much under there in a while i think i have forgotten how cramped it is. Thanks for the tips anything and everything is helpful. I could use alot of luck so thanks for that.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not a comprehensive video but this was the only YT vid I could find that sort of shows what's involved.

[yt]7TuIEuQj0b8[/yt]

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man my father in law says he has done a ****** swap when he had his 5.0 90s mustang. I think the 4x4 will prove a little trickier than expected.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man my father in law says he has done a ****** swap when he had his 5.0 90s mustang. I think the 4x4 will prove a little trickier than expected.

Trans swap on a mustang is a piece of cake though.

Especially if it was an SN95 (94-98). Swapped over my T5 in my 97 in about 2-3 hours in the middle of the night by myself.
Light enough I didn't even use my trans jack. Dropped is as one piece with the cross member still attached.

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea thats what he was saying like man its easy we got all the tools cant be that different the whole time i was biting my tongue because i gained a free volunteer. I just remember i got the motorcycle jack which in this case can act as a trans jack i almost jumped with joy when i figured that out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Leeann, I just read the whole linked thread again.
I have to say I am impressed with how you have restored the 05!
Not only good transmission summary, but so much maintenance with pics can help so many!
Bookmarked here for future references too! :gr_grin: oh & two Thumbs Up!

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure the torque converter is fully seated (should feel like two engagements) before you try to put it back in.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything else i should look at replacing while i am doing this

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would make sense i dont think i have ever seen mine.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a special gasket for where the transfer case meets the trans or just rtv

Latest posts

Members online