Transmission "Service"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattb

Reaction score
So I decided to get the transmisson service that I was supposed to have done at 30K done now at 46K. When making my appointment they ask do I want the cheaper one or the most expensive one. So Cheap (79.95) = drain fluid and replace. Expensive ($109.95) = replace fluid and filter. Wouldn't you just go ahead and replace the filter or is there a reason not to? I can't believe a dealership would offer a "cheap" version anyway. (Aeh)

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tran

I had mine done at the dealership and insisted they do the full tran service however the tech did the half assed one because I was under the impression that a full tran service for the Lib was very labour intensive... flushing and disassembling wth. Lazy 5 star techs ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

U gotta use the DC tran fluid!!!!!

mattb

Reaction score
trans

So I take the Jeep in for the trans service and confirm that the full service is $109.95 like the website says and guess what...oh no that's just the flush the full service is $350. I said can you read your own add that says "Full transmission service which included fluid, removing the transmission pan replacing the filter and resealing the pan..." They go oh that's a mistake. I say well guess so is me coming to your dealership see ya..Bastards!! (Argh)

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try another dealership. I had the full transmission service, for less than $120.00
When all else fails, tell them how much you want to spend. I did that the other day, rotate and balance of tires was quoted at 80, I told them 35, they agreed, they also quoted me a different price for a flush and refill for the radiator service. They gave me one price, I gave them another, and they did it! They also threw in a inspection which was free anyway... But actually that gave me good information like brake pads, etc...

But let me point out one more thing, right now you can only get the ATF+4 at the dealerships, using anything else voids warranties.

Dorpmuller

Reaction score
Re: trans

mattb said:
So I take the Jeep in for the trans service and confirm that the full service is $109.95 like the website says and guess what...oh no that's just the flush the full service is $350. quote]

Wow... you'll get ripped! Sounds like scumbags to me. I had the complete flush job (flushed out the torque converter, etc.) and had the transfer case fluid changed, all fluid levels checked at the stealership. Can't remember the figure but I know it was under 200$.

Rich

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: trans

mattb said:
So I take the Jeep in for the trans service and confirm that the full service is $109.95 like the website says and guess what...oh no that's just the flush the full service is $350. I said can you read your own add that says "Full transmission service which included fluid, removing the transmission pan replacing the filter and resealing the pan..." They go oh that's a mistake. I say well guess so is me coming to your dealership see ya..Bastards!! (Argh)

File a complaint with the Consumer/Business state dept for false advertising. Get those f*cktards fined!!!

GregScuba

Reaction score
Trodo said:
But let me point out one more thing, right now you can only get the ATF+4 at the dealerships, using anything else voids warranties.

Actually, you can now buy ATF+4 in Wal Mart. Couldn't beleive my eyes. They charge you around 4 dollars.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note if you do it yourself. You may still need to bring it back to the dealer or someone with a DRB III to preform a quick learn.

I just did mine last week and it wasn't shifting right. Called around and checked a couple internet sites and they all agreed a QUICK-LEARN needed to be preformed on the transmission. The clutch volume indexes need to be re-adjusted for the new fluid. Sounds crazy, I know but it wouldn't shift right. Had a quick learn preformed and everything was fine. All a quick learn does is reset the CVI's and some other value in the ******. Disconnecting the battery only resets some, not all. The dealer knew exact what the problem was and suggested a quick learn also. Took the tech about 2 minutes with the computer.

The tech even said that is is standard procedure for him to automatically do a QUICK LEARN when changing the fluid out. Keeps people from coming back. Apparently it happens quite often.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Did they charge you eddo?

Yeah 37.50 plus tax. I guess that is not really all that bad. That is about the minimum charge at any shop for any kind of diagnostic computer hookup. Almost all shop have a minum 1/2 labor charge.

While he was at it I had him check some other stuff on the ******, just to make sure everything was fine. He checked the CVI to make sure they where in correct range, and showed me some cool other things you can do with the computer.

Latest posts

Members online