Transmission Fluid Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all

My vehicles up to 86000+ miles. I bought it used around a year and a half ago and have never serviced the transmission. I am not sure if it was ever serviced. It runs fine, I don't notice any problems witih it when driving. Just want to perform preventive maintenace to keep it goin and avoid any issues down the road.

I know there are a few methods and combination of these methods of servicing it such as

1) dropping the pan and changing the filter and pan gasket.
2) Pulling the dipstick and sticking a tube connected to a pump to suck out the fluid
3) Disconnecting supply line from raditor with engine running while constantly pouring fresh fluid into transmission until you only see the nice red fresh fluid aka flush.

Anyone care to comment on their routines for servicing their transmission fluid?

stn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service it

Why would you NOT include dropping the pan to replace to replace the filter(s)? Although I don't think a gasket is needed.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only way to do it right is to have the dealer flush it. They have the right equipment and the price you normally pay is well worth it. They initiate a transmission relearn as well so your ****** learns new parameters induced with the new fluid.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dealer is the safest option. I'll contact them for a quote. Do you know if all stock transmissions on Liberty's don't come with a drain plug? It would make draining the fluid much easier and less messy. I understand the pan would still need to be dropped to change the filter and remove any metal shavings from the bottom of pan.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dealer is the safest option. I'll contact them for a quote. Do you know if all stock transmissions on Liberty's don't come with a drain plug? It would make draining the fluid much easier and less messy. I understand the pan would still need to be dropped to change the filter and remove any metal shavings from the bottom of pan.

I don't think any have a drain plug except for the manual trannies.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a dealer flush alone is sufficient or do you need to drop the pan and change the filter every 30K? I had the dealer do a flush only for the first 30K, they said it wasn't necessary to drop the pan after only 30K, but I am considering dropping the pan and changing the filter as well at 60K.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Does anyone know if a dealer flush alone is sufficient or do you need to drop the pan and change the filter every 30K? I had the dealer do a flush only for the first 30K, they said it wasn't necessary to drop the pan after only 30K, but I am considering dropping the pan and changing the filter as well at 60K.

A dealer ****** flush here includes a new ****** filter.
Even if it didn't a new ****** filter is allot less expensive than a rebuilt transmission!

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a big plastic catch to contain the flood when dropping the pan and direct it in a controlled manner into the oil drain pan. Worked like a champ.
Also, the pan itself is very cheap (<$20) from the dealer and well worth just getting a new one when you do this. Its easier than cleaning off the sealant from the old one.
If you can weld or know someone who can, you could always fab a drain plug into a new pan.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

The only Trans. fluid recommended by Jeep/Chrystler for automatic transmissions is Mopar ATF+4. I am pretty sure Walmart used to sell the fluid for around 3/4 bucks a quart. They no longer sell Mopar fluid at least not in my area and it's not listed on their site. The dealerships around me want to charge around $9 a quart for the fluid.

Does anyone put any non-Mopar ATF+4 in their transmission? If not, do you buy the fluid from the dealership and is it as overprice as it is near my area?

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks rocky. Being that, do you follow the same schedule for servicing your transmission or do you change it more frequently due to the non-use of the recommended Mopar?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't touch my transmission, I only top off when needed which is almost never. I use the ATF +4 in the transfer case. I get my transmission flushed at the dealer.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks rocky. Do you change your transmission fluid at the defined intervals or more frequently because of not using recommended Mopar?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks rocky. Do you change your transmission fluid at the defined intervals or more frequently because of not using recommended Mopar?

I just do the light duty schedule. Whether you use mopar branded ATF +4 or not doesn't matter. It's probably the same stuff anyway.

stn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

The only Trans. fluid recommended by Jeep/Chrystler for automatic transmissions is Mopar ATF+4. I am pretty sure Walmart used to sell the fluid for around 3/4 bucks a quart. They no longer sell Mopar fluid at least not in my area and it's not listed on their site. The dealerships around me want to charge around $9 a quart for the fluid.

Does anyone put any non-Mopar ATF+4 in their transmission? If not, do you buy the fluid from the dealership and is it as overprice as it is near my area?

When I bought my filters last month from dealer, he asked me if I needed fluid, he quoted me $8+. When I said "that sounds expensive"...he said, i can give it to you wholesale...$6.50....so I bought 5 quarts, then hegave me sealant on the house.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my filters last month from dealer, he asked me if I needed fluid, he quoted me $8+. When I said "that sounds expensive"...he said, i can give it to you wholesale...$6.50....so I bought 5 quarts, then hegave me sealant on the house.

That's good to know. What kind of sealant did he give you?