Transfer case swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeper1021

Reaction score
I have 2004 jeep liberty it only has part time 4 wheel drive
Will a tranfercase with part time and full time bolt right up or is it a different trans mission also ?

Reaction score
I have 2004 jeep liberty it only has part time 4 wheel drive
Will a tranfercase with part time and full time bolt right up or is it a different trans mission also ?

You'd need to give me more detail. What transmission do you have? What transfer case do you have? I'm assuming you have a 231-J, due to only having part time 4WD.

And what are you looking to swap to?

Jeeper1021

Reaction score
You'd need to give me more detail. What transmission do you have? What transfer case do you have? I'm assuming you have a 231-J, due to only having part time 4WD.

And what are you looking to swap to?
I just want to take a transfer case out of another jeep liberty I just want the full time option I have a auto transmission
Hope this helps

Reaction score
I just want to take a transfer case out of another jeep liberty I just want the full time option I have a auto transmission
Hope this helps

I understand what you want to do, But I need to know what you have first. specific models or designations. What's the transmission in your liberty? What's your transfer case?

What model do you want to swap in? I'm assuming you want the NV-242 Command-Trac transfer case.

In order to do the swap you will have to change a few things (If you have a NV-231-J) right now. If you're going from a 231-J to a 242-J, you'll need to change shift levers, and match the spline count/depth with your current case and make sure they are the same.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
shifter cable, handle etc
Why are you wanting to switch though?
Just curious