Transfer Case question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I was changing my Diff oil today and installed an ARB cover. I think next weekend I am going to change the transfer case fluid and manual ****** fluid. I am not sure which transfer case I have I know it is one of the three (NV231, NV241, and NV242) the only reason that I need to know is so I order the correct amount of fluids. I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4x4 manual 6 speed. Thanks for the help.
Nathan
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3242261

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Little Round tag on the rear of the transfer case,gives the info needed.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking you have the NV 241...most 6 speeds had that. NV 242 was an auto only option. Check the tag though... :)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably have a NP231
the only Jeep that comes with an NV241 was the rubicon
some of the KJ renni's came with a NP241
you do not have a NP242 those only come with auto trans

no matter which t-case you have you need either 2 or 3 quarts
of ATF 4 which is cheep

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is stamped "241J" I was kind of surprised too

The NV241J, also known as Command-Trac HD, is sometimes incorrectly referred to as an "NV231J-HD". It was available in the 2005-2007 Jeep Liberty (KJ) with the 6-spd transmission in any package. The transfer case is tagged "241J" in these applications and uses the same gear ratios as the NV231J. This is not the limited production NV241OR found in the Wrangler Rubicon models.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty/Transfer_Cases

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, all of the 6-speeds had the 241 t-case. 242/AWD does not work with a stick. The 231 came in the commandtrac auto's & 5-spds.

Keeping the NV/NP straight is hard for most everyone. New Process & New Venture were names used through several owners of what was mostly the same company.

Members online

No members online now.