Transfer case question - no 2wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys:

I pretty much drive 98% of the time in 2WD. Last time I used 4WD Full Time was about 2-3 months ago. I never use 4WD Part Time or Lo. It's been ~2 years since I changed diff and transfer case oil, so I'll get on that soon.

Yesterday I was cleaning the inside of my Liberty (car off) and raised the transfer case lever up to vacuum/wipe the boot underneath. I put it back into the 2wd position after. When starting the car, the "part time" illuminated on my dash, so while parked I moved it through the positions but could not get the "part time" to stop illuminating when in what should be 2wd position. So, I tossed it in Neutral and left it there. Also, when I moved the Jeep off of my driveway I found a small rubber boot piece on the ground (torn off) -- not sure if related or not but almost certainly from the Liberty.

Anyways, I've driven it about 25 miles since with the transfer case in Neutral. Is there any harm in doing this? In the owner's manual it says that neutral disengages both driveshafts and is for towing, so I wonder if the cable broke or something and the transfer case is actually stuck in 2wd or something else?

Ideas?

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited; AT; Selec-Trac. 161K miles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys:

I pretty much drive 98% of the time in 2WD. Last time I used 4WD Full Time was about 2-3 months ago. I never use 4WD Part Time or Lo. It's been ~2 years since I changed diff and transfer case oil, so I'll get on that soon.

Yesterday I was cleaning the inside of my Liberty (car off) and raised the transfer case lever up to vacuum/wipe the boot underneath. I put it back into the 2wd position after. When starting the car, the "part time" illuminated on my dash, so while parked I moved it through the positions but could not get the "part time" to stop illuminating when in what should be 2wd position. So, I tossed it in Neutral and left it there. Also, when I moved the Jeep off of my driveway I found a small rubber boot piece on the ground (torn off) -- not sure if related or not but almost certainly from the Liberty.

Anyways, I've driven it about 25 miles since with the transfer case in Neutral. Is there any harm in doing this? In the owner's manual it says that neutral disengages both driveshafts and is for towing, so I wonder if the cable broke or something and the transfer case is actually stuck in 2wd or something else?

Ideas?

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited; AT; Selec-Trac. 161K miles.

Since you don't use it much sounds like the cable broke
Should move it back and forth a few times every month to keep things lubed good
As far as having it in neutral and driving it....If that were correct you wouldn't move an inch

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm...okay, thanks for the reply. I don't mind leaving as is for a week or so until I have a chance to repair. I just want to make sure I don't damage the diffs. While I know I can't fully trust the t-case switch to read properly, I am nervous that putting it in the 2wd position illuminates "part time". Is there is a possibility that the case is stuck in the part time mode? How would I know? I was driving up to 75 mph on my way to work this morning...just hope I didn't destroy anything :D

Hopefully instead of a cable break it is just a bad bushing or something...I think I kept the piece that appeared to break off from the underside of the Jeep - I'll take a picture and upload here for you all.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were stuck in 4-wheel part time, YOU'D KNOW! That locks both front and rear differentials to the same speed... you'd have binding and hopping and all sorts of nasty noises and the Jeep would be fighting you around all the turns on drive pavement.

I'd say you most certainly are not in 4wd-part time right now. More than likely the indicator switch is stuck. Since it's a mechanical selector on that t-case, you can feel it engage each position when you move the lever... just as you can your transmission. There is a stop at each spot for each transfer case mode.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^Thanks - I must be in 2WD which is just fine by me until I fix the issue.

I think the transfer cable shifter bushing failed on me as I found a torn piece of rubber under the Jeep that looked very similar to this.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 4

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's the bushing.

For now your T-case is in 2WD - thankfully the busing didn't fall out when you moved the lever to Part Time. If it has gotten stuck in Full Time that would be a problem. Like Tom said, if you were in Neutral you wouldn't go anywhere - the entire drivetrain would've been in neutral leaving you 'neutered...' :happy175::happy175:

Use the Full Time every once in a while to keep the transfer case clutches lubed up - you'll be driving essentially an AWD Liberty. You'll want the T-case working well, especially if you find yourself in knee-deep snow or in a ditch thanks to hydroplaning, etc. Last thing you want is your T-case to take a dump when you need it most...

Bob

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I used to use 4WD much more frequently until I moved to SoCal about 2.5 years ago.

Now, on to that bushing -- man the OEM replacement is kinda pricey for what it is. I am not going to order anything until I can get under there and take a look...I might go with one of the more durable alternatives I've found others post about.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I think the creative solutions here on the forum are better than paying stealership prices for that bushing.

Bob