transfer case plug replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh.... with the rear and front diff plugs, would anti-seize or teflon tape be recommended to be applied on the plugs too?

Thanks

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i failed to get my fill plug out and stopped before i stripped it. the hex was starting to turn a bit in the plug even though i made sure it had seated properly before using a breaker bar.

any suggestions besides heating the case around the plug?
maybe an impact driver, the one used with a hammer? epoxy the hex socket to the plug?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Aluminum Transfer case = heat /impacting driver not good..you don't want to crack casing.
However I wonder if a hair dryer warm type heat to plug area would be ok..??
I would not hit it with anything like an impact driver...
Tom or Troy would probably say air tool time.
If they dont reply..... ask for their help by sending em a PM ....
hmmm. maybe there is a reason why Jayme has a 10mm spot welded on....LOL...

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
One too many times being unable to remove it easily... that was enough incentive.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contrary to what some with less years of experience may be apprehensive about, a propane torch would be my next weapon of choice. Over the past 40 years of using a torch on stubborn bolts and such, and on different metals and alloys, I've NEVER had a negative result. Yes, a torch can get toasty (3,623 F at the inner tip), and the melting point of aluminum is 1,221 F. However, due to heat dissipation, it would take a looooong heating time to get a concentrated area anywhere near the melting point. I would heat the plug directly, which is NOT going to heat up the case anywhere near too hot, then give it a shot from a can of Freeze Off (or canned air). If you think heating it up with a torch is a bad thing, then how hot do you think the red hot plug is getting from being welding upon to attach a bolt or allen wrench to it.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tried the cooling the plug based on tjkj's suggestion on a different forum as i posted previously but didnt work :\

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it is time to follow Jayme in post 28.
I wonder & hope that .....it has NOT been cross threaded!
At which point being at a shop would be a good thing!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. time for some pro help. going to order a set of replacement plugs just in case. i dont know whether the fluid has ever been changed

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. time for some pro help. going to order a set of replacement plugs just in case. i dont know whether the fluid has ever been changed

I know how difficult this problem can be. I once had a transaxle drain plug seized in an Alfa Romeo. After rounding out the hex hole, I welded a nut to it then snapped a 17mm spanner with my foot. Eventually I drilled a hole right through the plug and tried a screw extractor or easy out, but with no luck.
That easy out ended up being the drain plug until the day tha car went for scrap years later.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sooo haven't had a chance to bring it in to the shop to get this taken care off.
Was googling around and I found this

Lisle Corporation

Anyone used something similar to this?
It has an extractor that would fit a 10mm hex.

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also read from more googling that a pipe nipple extractor might work too.
Cool....
This gives me a little more hope.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If it goes high enough it would work. If it's the factory one I don't think it goes as high as that one in the pic.

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was your plug cross threaded? kinda looks like my water pump threads, all flattened out.

would a scissor jack work? I don't have a bottle jack.

Yes, the shop where I used to get my winter oil changes done completely ruined the plug. My first try was actually trying to hammer in a torx bit (Do not remember what size) but all that did was round the threads even more. Would a scissor jack work? may be, if you lift the jeep you might even be able to use a breaker bar, I used the jack because my breaker bar is a little too long and at 120# I am not strong at all to fight with that plug.

I put the new one in with some teflon tape and a few months later it came out without any trouble.

Good luck.