Transfer case makes clicking noise while driving - Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F22-Raptor

Reaction score
Last night, the transfer case on my wife's '03 Liberty (110000Km) started making a clicking noise similar to when you stick playing card to your bicycle and it gets hit by the spokes.
It started off very faint and in about 15Km it got to the point where it is very noticeable.

When you hold the lever you can also feel the vibrations (synced with the clicking).

I tried cycling the TC from 2x4 to 4x4 low, stopped the Jeep, cycled the gears (D, 2, and 1), nothing helped.
The only thing I didn't try was to drive in reverse. This used to work on my '91 YJ when the transfer case was acting up - I'll try it tonight when I get home, but I have a feeling it won't work.

When you drive under power the clicking is not as noticeable as when you lift of the gas, I guess it's only because the transfer case is under load and you also get the noise from the engine.

Do you know what is going on? Do I have to take it to the dealer? Any idea how much to fix it?

Thanks

D.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you checked the rear boot on the front driveshaft yet? Rear boot goes south, CV dries up and it clicks/pop/bangs/cracks/ makes funny noises, check it first.
Easy to replace, pull driveshaft out and a CV repair kit for 80-90 bucks and ten minutes of time to repair if thats it

F22-Raptor

Reaction score
Have you checked the rear boot on the front driveshaft yet? Rear boot goes south, CV dries up and it clicks/pop/bangs/cracks/ makes funny noises, check it first.
Easy to replace, pull driveshaft out and a CV repair kit for 80-90 bucks and ten minutes of time to repair if thats it

Nope, I haven't checked anything. Last night it was too late and now it's too dark and cold and the garage has the Camaro on jack-stands.

I'm taking it in for a rust proof job this Saturday, I'll check it then.
Is the CV repair kit something from the dealer or any car parts store?

Thanks for the info.

BTW, just like I suspected, driving in reverse didn't make a difference.

D.

Latest posts

Members online