Transfer Case Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ruzty

Reaction score
Hi,

Usually our Liberty is driven in 2WD mode. But once I was explaining my wife what for the Transfer Case is and was switching to different modes. After driving around the block (in 4 Full Time) I returned it back to 2WD mode. But I noticed some kind of resistence for the jeep to roll forward as I release the brakes. Then I did the same exercise with the steering wheel turned all the way to one side. It would not even move a CH. So I drove it arounds and all of sudden BANG and everything returned back to normal (if I can call it now that way) The shifter was all the wat to the front, dash lights out.
Whad da heck was that? I am a full time student now so I would not survive TC repair charges.

Attachments

• IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 19

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you on dry pavement? Big NO-NO with part-time 4WD! You experienced drive line "binding"...DON'T do that again, please!

Take vehicle to gravel, dirt, mud, snow or other surface with wheel slip and engage 4WD Hi/Lo again and check for loud, expensive noises...You MAY have dodged a bullet....

ruzty

Reaction score
We drove on icy-snowy backlane, but only in 4 full time. I know that part time is only for muddy conditions or for pulling something straight only. It also seemed to me that there was binding there, but why and how to fix it

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That loud pop was normal if on dry pavement. Don't do it again. Like twowings said, it will cause damage. If you ever use it on dry pavement (heck if you use it at all) I myself as well as many others found it useful to always put it in neutral whether you're going from 2wd to 4hi and 4low and vice versa. So if you're in 2wd and wanna go in 4hi, put it in neutral then select hi or low (as long as you're not going speeds over 25-35) as for 4lw, you need to be in neutral and stationary for the transfer case to shift properly. Everything is in the manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine also does this sometimes when going from full time back to 2wd. This tells me it's time to check my tire pressure. I have a slow leak on a few tires and this pressure inconsistency can mess up the tcase function. Just a guess, but seems like even though I was in FT, when I pass through PT on my way back to 2wd it hangs there. Mine will bind when turning but I can feel it before it get too bad. Usually I can just pop the throttle and it will clunk out. Sometimes if I briefly put it in reverse it will correct itself. I started using the FT at least once a week and keeping a close eye on my tire pressure lately and it has made the binding occurrence much less frequent.

ruzty

Reaction score
..This tells me it's time to check my tire pressure...

Yeah, I do have a leak from right rear tire. I keep a close eye on it.
Thanks everybody for your input.

A mech from jeep chrisler told me once that I could shift my TC on the fly. Apparently not)))

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can. just that you have to shift below the maximum allowed speed.
the info is in your owner's manual.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From full time I usually switch into neutral. Ditto on tire pressures. I've had the same thing happen to me a few times.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can switch between 2wd and full-time on the fly. Just make sure you do this on a straight section of the road with your foot off the gas pedal and below 88kmh.

Now coming out of part-time is a bit tricky. If you feel binding on turns after you switched out of part-time just stop and drive a foot back and forward straight. Usually that does the trick.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can switch between 2wd and full-time on the fly. Just make sure you do this on a straight section of the road with your foot off the gas pedal and below 88kmh.

Now coming out of part-time is a bit tricky. If you feel binding on turns after you switched out of part-time just stop and drive a foot back and forward straight. Usually that does the trick.

You cannot switch from 2wd to full time on the fly. In the manual it states a much slower speed I think. 3mph (I cannot remember it) I'm in the us and I know 60kmh is around 40mph. So if you're suggesting that 88kmh is okay to switch to full time, is a no go. Please be careful what you post on here. But you are right about part time. I just pop her in neutral every time and no issues.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You can switch between any of the high range positions on the fly (2wd, 4 part and 4 full), up to 55MPH (which is 88 KPH). That's right. Let off the gas, shift, and hit the gas again and you should be good to go. I like to shift around 45. Sometimes put it in neutral, sometimes don't. For 4 LO 3MPH and neutral is needed.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cannot switch from 2wd to full time on the fly. In the manual it states a much slower speed I think. 3mph (I cannot remember it) I'm in the us and I know 60kmh is around 40mph. So if you're suggesting that 88kmh is okay to switch to full time, is a no go. Please be careful what you post on here. But you are right about part time. I just pop her in neutral every time and no issues.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)

You can switch between any of the high range positions on the fly (2wd, 4 part and 4 full), up to 55MPH (which is 88 KPH). That's right. Let off the gas, shift, and hit the gas again and you should be good to go. I like to shift around 45. Sometimes put it in neutral, sometimes don't. For 4 LO 3MPH and neutral is needed.

HJ is correct. This transfer case is designed so you ARE able shift into 4HI or Full Time on the fly up to 55mph. Read through the manual carefully and you'll see the "on the fly" line several times. It was a big deal when Jeep introduced a transfer case that didn't require the user to stop, get out and lock the hubs or shift the transmission into neutral before putting the transfer case into 4WD.

With the Full Time transfer case I've found a couple of tricks that seem to help when transitioning into and out of Full Time.

1. Keep the transfer case 'lubed up' by running in Full Time frequently - once or twice a month or so. Since it functions like an AWD system when in Full Time you can run it on any surface as long as you want. Keeps everything operating smoothly.

2. Like HJ said above, letting off the gas briefly when shifting into or out of Full Time helps it to transition to 2WD or Full Time (depending on which direction you're shifting.) You can shift at speeds up to 55mph.

The Full Time transfer case is touchy when it comes to tire sizes and tire pressure. Make sure all four tires match EXACTLY and the tire pressure are the same.

Bob

Last edited: