trans temp light... another issue after dealer service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had nothing but problems from the dealers careless 100k service and I'm doing all of my own work from now on.

I'm driving up to the mountain to go shooting and hit some trail when the trans temp light comes on. I was on steep paved roads and hadn't hit the logging roads yet. I pull over, turn the jeep off to let it cool down and decide I better not go the rest of the way. It didn't come back on on the way back home.

The dealer did a full transmission service on my 2003 kj sport with 95k miles. I'm wondering if the new fluid is toast at this point and if it was most likely caused by the service they performed a week ago. Never had the issue before... Mother in law owned it since it was new in 03.

Thanks for any input

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of experience with transmission overheating with my 04 KJ.
First I have some questions for you kjmman. What options do you have? Do you have the Mopar trailer package and the V6 gas engine? If you do then you have a mechanical clutch rad fan and an electrical rad fan.

On my KJ the electrical rad fan failed. When I was climbing steep hills, in 4WD or pulling a heavy trailer the transmission over temp light would come on. Maybe you're experiencing the same problem.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had nothing but problems from the dealers careless 100k service and I'm doing all of my own work from now on.

I'm driving up to the mountain to go shooting and hit some trail when the trans temp light comes on. I was on steep paved roads and hadn't hit the logging roads yet. I pull over, turn the jeep off to let it cool down and decide I better not go the rest of the way. It didn't come back on on the way back home.

The dealer did a full transmission service on my 2003 kj sport with 95k miles. I'm wondering if the new fluid is toast at this point and if it was most likely caused by the service they performed a week ago. Never had the issue before... Mother in law owned it since it was new in 03.

Thanks for any input
If you have the 42RLE trans that is pretty normal if you on steep climbs and going rather slow(less then 55mph).There has been a lot of trails runs I've done here in CO that the KJ's with the 42RLE trans would have the over temp light come on just going to the trail head,and yes still on paved roads.It didn't matter if they had HD cooling or not.Those of us with the 45RFE never had any issues with trans over temps.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of experience with transmission overheating with my 04 KJ.
First I have some questions for you kjmman. What options do you have? Do you have the Mopar trailer package and the V6 gas engine? If you do then you have a mechanical clutch rad fan and an electrical rad fan.

On my KJ the electrical rad fan failed. When I was climbing steep hills, in 4WD or pulling a heavy trailer the transmission over temp light would come on. Maybe you're experiencing the same problem.

No towing package and the 3.7l v6. The fan on the radiator turns... Was it cutting out at a curtain point? I'll look into the rad fan and see if I can find a way to test it. If you have any I put on testing/replacing it let me know. Thanks :)

Last edited:

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the 42RLE trans that is pretty normal if you on steep climbs and going rather slow(less then 55mph).There has been a lot of trails runs I've done here in CO that the KJ's with the 42RLE trans would have the over temp light come on just going to the trail head,and yes still on paved roads.It didn't matter if they had HD cooling or not.Those of us with the 45RFE never had any issues with trans over temps.

That's unfortunate... Definitely have the 42rle :( know if my week old fluid is toast at this point? Right when I noticed the light I pulled over and let it sit for 10 minutes.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's unfortunate... Definitely have the 42rle :( know if my week old fluid is toast at this point? Right when I noticed the light I pulled over and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Yeah the fluid is toast,flush time(not a drain and fill time).

General rule of thumb graph............

You must be registered for see images

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the fluid is toast,flush time(not a drain and fill time).

General rule of thumb graph............

You must be registered for see images
Think I should hold the dealer accountable since they just flushed it a week ago? Like I said, never happened before this...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
:icon_idea: I installed a PML 1.5 quart over stock Trans Pan for the 42RLE do your have the 42RLE or 45RFE? Never had a temp light since. :party52:
Anyways if you have the 42RLE the new aluminum pan will keep things cooler and the extra 1.5 quart of ATF+4 helps!
A drain plug is standard and allows easy drain & refill when u need to. You can also install a trans temp sensor in new pan. Fits above OEM skid plate perfectly.
YourCovers.com 42RLE Transmission Pan
I used a Lubelocker gasket and has been absolutely leak free. Unlike the te OEM pan which was constantly weeping and the main reason (beides heat) I went to the PML.
50093[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I should hold the dealer accountable since they just flushed it a week ago? Like I said, never happened before this...
How can you? You went past the limits and burned the fluid.It happens and was just dumb luck it happened right after the service.

If that was the 1st service it's to be expected to have issues after with that kind of mileage.The fluid should be flushed no longer then 60k intervals with filter(s) for synthetic(ATF+4).

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:icon_idea: I installed a PML 1.5 quart over stock Trans Pan for the 42RLE do your have the 42RLE or 45RFE? Never had a temp light since. :party52:
Anyways if you have the 42RLE the new aluminum pan will keep things cooler and the extra 1.5 quart of ATF+4 helps!
A drain plug is standard and allows easy drain & refill when u need to. You can also install a trans temp sensor in new pan. Fits above OEM skid plate perfectly.
YourCovers.com 42RLE Transmission Pan
I used a Lubelocker gasket and has been absolutely leak free. Unlike the te OEM pan which was constantly weeping and the main reason (beides heat) I went to the PML.
50095[/ATTACH]"]

That's awesome, I will definitely buy one as soon as possible. My wife would kill me if I bought it right now though... Within the past two weeks I've bought an ome 2.5 lift, duratracs, paid for the service, and did the back breaks/rotors lol

Attachments

• 42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
For off road, I wish there was a switch that would force the electrical fans to stay on high speed, to help keep things cool....(hmm where is the mod for this ?) (disconnect temp sensor wires LOL)
Glad u like the PML...it's COOL..!! er..
I painted mine black..high temp -flat...not gloss..
50097[/ATTACH]"]

PS for everything else there is MasterCard ...and the wife wont know at least for 30 days ! LOL....

Attachments

• PmlPanPainted.jpg
    PmlPanPainted.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to replace the oil pan I'd drill out a spot in it for an auxiliary temperature sensor.
The Liberty seems to lack one.

Oh and while you are under your hood have a look at the rad. Mine once got so dirty & plugged with dirt that it was useless.
Once I thoroughly flushed it out all was well.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can you? You went past the limits and burned the fluid.It happens and was just dumb luck it happened right after the service.

If that was the 1st service it's to be expected to have issues after with that kind of mileage.The fluid should be flushed no longer then 60k intervals with filter(s) for synthetic(ATF+4).

I understand, not trying to be unethical about this and blame them if it's not there fault... The 3 issues I had before was there fault and this is just icing on the cake. I can't afford a flush for another 3 weeks to a month... Saved for quite a while to afford the lift/tires/service/brakes.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the rad is definitely important in the overall cooling process. I normally let the dealer use their coolant & trans flush machine and get the job done right. I also last time replaced the thermostat while they were there as well. I requested the coolant be set to handle at cold to -45c and I got it back at -50 ..perfect for Alberta Rocky Mountain winter trips.

PML can machine hole / threads for temp sensor I believe at time of ordering.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the rad is definitely important in the overall cooling process. I normally let the dealer use their coolant & trans flush machine and get the job done right. I also last time replaced the thermostat while they were there as well. I requested the coolant be set to handle at cold to -45c and I got it back at -50 ..perfect for Alberta Rocky Mountain winter trips.

PML can machine hole / threads for temp sensor I believe at time of ordering.

They were going to do a coolant flush... But I have a very small/slow leak and they didn't want to make it worse. Eventually need to get a new one...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Well..with all the work you have been doing...$$ it's one thing at a time.
Hopeful the leak can be addressed soon... you dont want a pressurization problem and everything running too hot...
I am religious about the Hoat flush every 5 years by Dealer. Trans fluid too, every 50k miles here. I do drain the fluid also with the pml pan in between as well.
All I know ever since I bought a jeep, I have never been so broke...and when my credit card bills come in, I cant help but use some bad language. :whip: :icon_lol:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For off road, I wish there was a switch that would force the electrical fans to stay on high speed, to help keep things cool
Not sure on the KJ's with the 42RLE but my '02 with the 45RFE when offroad will do 2-3 cycles of going to 219 degrees and the fan kicking on then off at 195 degrees and then the fan stays on 100% of the time after the 2-3 cycle of this till I turn the engine off then it does the cycle again and stays on.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
There is some flexibility in the zones. You should check the fluid on level ground,hot after driving for 20 minutes + and yes Neutral, brake on, wheel blocks would not hurt either.
Does the +4 still look clean nice and bright, no foul smell?

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is some flexibility in the zones. You should check the fluid on level ground,hot after driving for 20 minutes + and yes Neutral, brake on, wheel blocks would not hurt either.
Does the +4 still look clean nice and bright, no foul smell?

Clean , bright, and smells horrible... I wouldn't think over filling could cause overheating but I've seem weirder happen. I'll drive it and and look at the gauge when the fluid is heated up all the way.