****** question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 2wd. And my ****** doesn't seem right to me but this is the way it's been from the day i bought it. (used) Driving about 45-50mph my RPM's go from 2000/2500 to 1500 RPMs almost like OD. This happens going up hill when OD you think would not be needed. Any help out there?????

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 2wd. And my ****** doesn't seem right to me but this is the way it's been from the day i bought it. (used) Driving about 45-50mph my RPM's go from 2000/2500 to 1500 RPMs almost like OD. This happens going up hill when OD you think would not be needed. Any help out there?????

This is pretty normal. One of the most common complaints with the 42rle auto.

It's all over the internet about a 'dead spot' or 'hesitation' around 40+ mph-- especially when going up hills. There was rumor that the shift points could be reprogrammed by the dealer, but I'm not sure if that ever panned out.

On hills, if the jeep is struggling because you're holding your speed around that 45 mph, sometimes it pays to just pop the overdrive off to keep from lugging the engine and to keep the ****** from shifting back and forth.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
On hills, if the jeep is struggling because you're holding your speed around that 45 mph, sometimes it pays to just pop the overdrive off to keep from lugging the engine and to keep the ****** from shifting back and forth.

This is the key to the whole thing as jnaut said. The 42rle shifts into o/d right around 45. So at that speed it will want to downshift with sleightest throttle pressure and then up shift when you release throttle pressure. If it keeps doing that, it means you need to lock out o/d to keep it in d and it will also run cooler. (better for the ******) Then when the road flattens out push the o/d button again and let it go to o/d.

I hate 45 mph roads and usually drive them at 50 if I can. Otherwise I lock out o/d immediately if it starts doing that.

Dave

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet guy's!!!! Thanks for all the help. At least now i won't drive myself crazy thinking there's a problem.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, i hate that. i was on a level road doin 45 and it went back and fourth for half a mile. i eventually turned o/d off.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you'd rather fix it than live with it, call APS Precision and talk to Wayne. Talk to him about an upgraded torque converter and shift correction kit. He hooked me up with a custom torque converter and shift kit that made a world of difference in my '02 with the 45RFE. APS has good stuff for the 42RLE also.

APS Precision, LLC.
P.O. Box 2402
Saratoga, CA 95070
Mobile: (408) 205-8500
Office: (408) 374-1217
Information: [email protected]
Sales: [email protected]
Support: [email protected]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.