traded my 04 for an 03. questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
"elves spanking a hamster" would be a great name for an indie band. :hat:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Just because it's "ok" doesn't mean it's right lol. U better Hope the drivetrain isn't on any type of a bind when u do this. I've seen to many tcases blow apart from people trying to do this. As far as a kj goes I've seen the cv joint in the front axle get destroyed by doing this. I'd rather take that extra two seconds to stop and put it in.

Oh My God...

Read the owners manual. Shifting on the fly *is* right and proper use for the KJ and KK's 4WD system.

That is all.

crazv6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Bwahahaha that's great! Elves spanking a hamster.

Last edited:

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh My God...

Read the owners manual. Shifting on the fly *is* right and proper use for the KJ and KK's 4WD system.

That is all.

"Read the owners manual" lol. That's all u had to say there. I never said it wasn't possible!!!!!!! But why take the chance???? If ur driving down the interstate and u run into a blizzard and u have no option to stop, then by all means put it in 4-wheel drive, but u better not have it gassed while ur doing it, cause if ur spinning just a little ur screwed!!!!!!!!! I'm sure the "owners" manual mentions that though huh. If ur dumb enough to put it in 4-wheel drive going 55mph then ur prob not smart enough to fix it. Sometimes u just gotta use a little common sense! It goes a long way

I think I'm gonna start driving around at 5,500 rpms now, cause it don't redline till 6 so it must be ok! Owners manual says so. And if I get stuck I'm gonna put it in 4-lo instead of 4-hi so I get better "traction". Owners manual says so. Oh I'm sorry, I meant "part time" and "full time". Didn't mean to confuse you. I'm used to that "79 bronco" :whymewhyme:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither transfer case on dry pavement when in part time hi, that goes without saying. The 231's case minimum of "wet" roads (rain) and slipperier, and the 242's minimum of snow and ice (notice no "wet") is right out of the factory service manual. I'm leaning towards what the designers at D.C. says their vehicle can handle, as opposed to an opinion of others, nothing personal.
Oh and knotwerk, the one thing you need to get used to is popping it back into 2wd when making a tight (hairpin) turn.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mfr_omg:
"Read the owners manual" lol. That's all u had to say there. I never said it wasn't possible!!!!!!! But why take the chance???? If ur driving down the interstate and u run into a blizzard and u have no option to stop, then by all means put it in 4-wheel drive, but u better not have it gassed while ur doing it, cause if ur spinning just a little ur screwed!!!!!!!!! I'm sure the "owners" manual mentions that though huh. If ur dumb enough to put it in 4-wheel drive going 55mph then ur prob not smart enough to fix it. Sometimes u just gotta use a little common sense! It goes a long way

I think I'm gonna start driving around at 5,500 rpms now, cause it don't redline till 6 so it must be ok! Owners manual says so. And if I get stuck I'm gonna put it in 4-lo instead of 4-hi so I get better "traction". Owners manual says so. Oh I'm sorry, I meant "part time" and "full time". Didn't mean to confuse you. I'm used to that "79 bronco" :whymewhyme:
:mfr_omg:

First off, if you're doing 55mph and think you need 4wd, you would have to be a :untitled: or brain dead. In all my years driving, including time in a semi, I never saw a situation where I would be comfortable doing 55mph and need 4wd. Like you said, sometimes you gotta use a little common sense. Now I drive a 6speed, so I make it a rule if I am going to grab 4wd, I push the clutch in. See, easy enough, no power to the rear wheels to make them spin. I am chronically lazy. I also work on these things for a living. Trust me when I say, I wouldn't do something that is going to require me to tear apart my t-case from abuse. I have better things to do, like post on here lol. Do as you like, as the way you do it doesn't do any wear on the t-case, but its unwarranted.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

your actually fine shifting into 4wd at about any speed in a KJ but they state 55mph max for 4hi for legal reasons the Street stated.Always shifted while moving in my KJ and still do with the Atlas t-case which is gear to gear(no chain) and 2 shift levers as that is the only way it will shift.

Oh and running all day long at redline will not hurt your engine as long as it's in good working order and has been actually maintained.

Neither transfer case on dry pavement when in part time hi, that goes without saying. The 231's case minimum of "wet" roads (rain) and slipperier, and the 242's minimum of snow and ice (notice no "wet") is right out of the factory service manual. I'm leaning towards what the designers at D.C. says their vehicle can handle, as opposed to an opinion of others, nothing personal.
Oh and knotwerk, the one thing you need to get used to is popping it back into 2wd when making a tight (hairpin) turn.
I'd believe the company that actually made both t-cases and that is not Chrysler.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You could fix a lot of cars over the course of your life, be a good husband and father, maybe even win a Nobel prize. But this is probably what you will be remembered for. :icon_mrgreen:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the owner's manual:

CAUTION: Do not attempt to make a shift while only the
front or rear wheels are spinning. The Command-
Trac transfer case is not equipped with a synchronizer
and therefore the front and rear driveshaft
speeds must be equal for the shift to take place.
Shifting while only the front or rear wheels are
spinning can cause damage to the transfer case.

WARNING: Because 4-wheel drive provides improved traction,
there is a tendency to exceed safe turning and
stopping speeds. Do not go faster than road conditions
permit.

Shifting Procedure:
2H to 4H or 4H to 2H
Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the
vehicle in motion up to 55 mph (88 km/h). The transfer
case will engage/disengage faster if you momentarily
release the accelerator pedal after completing the shift.
Apply a constant force when shifting the transfer case
lever.

NOTE: Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the
vehicle completely stopped, however difficulty may occur
due to the mating clutch teeth not being properly
aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch
teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The preferred
method is with the vehicle rolling 2 to 3 mph (3 to
5 km/h). Avoid attempting to engage or disengage 4L
with the vehicle moving faster than 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5
km/h).

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And is exactly how I do it. I shift in and out of 4Hi on the fly as needed and road conditions dictate.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, me three. Glides right in, no matter the speed. Ok, who's gonna be the first one to shift on the fly while going 56 mph? Double dare even?? ;)

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, me three. Glides right in, no matter the speed. Ok, who's gonna be the first one to shift on the fly while going 56 mph? Double dare even?? ;)

I'm just trying to visualize someone doing 50mph on snow on the highway, and all the sudden they feel the need to use 4wd. What could possibly go wrong? lol

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your actually fine shifting into 4wd at about any speed in a KJ but they state 55mph max for 4hi for legal reasons the Street stated.Always shifted while moving in my KJ and still do with the Atlas t-case which is gear to gear(no chain) and 2 shift levers as that is the only way it will shift.

Oh and running all day long at redline will not hurt your engine as long as it's in good working order and has been actually maintained.

I'd believe the company that actually made both t-cases and that is not Chrysler.

Lol. 2 words to sum up this whole thread. "Able" and "should". Are u "able" to run at redline all day....sure. "Should" u? probably not. Are u "able" to shift into 4-hi while going 55mph? Probably. "Should" u??? Probably not

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to visualize someone doing 50mph on snow on the highway, and all the sudden they feel the need to use 4wd. What could possibly go wrong? lol

Well, there you are cruising down the dry open highway at 70 mph. Suddenly you cross into an unforeseen blizzard. You slow way down to 55 or less, and safely pull the shifter into 4 Hi (because you can and are able to, so you should). It could happen!

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done it once at over 65mph in my KJ(still had the 231 t-case) going from paved highway to a section line,many ,many more times with my '84 F150.Since the statute of limitations has passed yes the Sheriff was behind me,we'll just leave it at that.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, there you are cruising down the dry open highway at 70 mph. Suddenly you cross into an unforeseen blizzard. You slow way down to 55 or less, and safely pull the shifter into 4 Hi (because you can and are able to, so you should). It could happen!

You would, or should only be engaging the 4wd if you needed the extra drivetrain traction. If you drove into a blizzard such as that, with snow piled on the road, you'd be facing a loss of control.

Ok, war story time. Your scenario has actually happened to me. Early 2007, I was running a load of beer from Syracuse, NY to Huntington, WV. Freezable load, in a dry trailer(no refer unit to keep beer from freezing). Orders were to get the load south of the freeze line to keep the load from being ruined, at almost all costs(20-22 pallets of beer, 44k-45k with dunnage, do the math on that bill, lol). Head west on I90 to Buffalo and head to Erie, PA where I planned to cut south to get into warmer temps for the night. I'm heavy, easily 78k lbs, chugging along at 65mph on I90 almost to the PA stateline running beside Lake Erie. I had a semi beside me, creeping past me, when all the sudden the cars 1/4 mile ahead of me disappeared! I soon found out why, and was holding on for dear life. The lake was frozen over, and had amassed snow on the ice. We were encountering blasts of winds, about a 1/4 mile wide, where there was gaps in the trees and the terrain permitted it, bringing in snow that amounted to a localized whiteout, and about 6-8" of snow on the highway. All I and the other guy could do was kick off the cruise, switch off the jakes and hold on. That much weight, if it got to wandering, we were goners. Hit about 5 of those by the time I made it to Erie that night. When you hit them the truck would get squirelly for a second until the rest of the rig was in the snow as well. Happens a lot thru that area, and I'm sure closer to tommudd's home as well. What probably saved those drivers, was backing their speeds down as fast as they could and not panicking. So what you propose can, and does happen, but grabbing the t-case lever would likely aggravate the issue more than help from my experience. You'd want to concentrate on shutting your vehicle down in speed, and once you got closer to 30mph or so, grab the lever.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Lol. 2 words to sum up this whole thread. "Able" and "should". Are u "able" to run at redline all day....sure. "Should" u? probably not. Are u "able" to shift into 4-hi while going 55mph? Probably. "Should" u??? Probably not

You still fighting this uphill battle with outdated crap that doesn't make any current sense?

Go right ahead.

Lil bit of history on me.

How many Libertys have I had?

Oh yeah, 3.5 ( 3½ ). (One doesn't belong to me but heck I'm the one who has to maintain it...)

Destroyed transfer cases?

Last edited: