TPS when changing tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was checking on replacing tires and I have the TPS system and the guy at Munro said he would need to replace and re set the sensors ($25 each). Sounds like bull to me and I won't go back there but I was wondering. (first time I've had a TPS)

Anybody have any experience/issues with them when changing tires?

Are the sensors inside the valve stem?

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sensors

The sensors are in the wheels, not the tires. They will have to be reset, by the dealership I think, if you rotate your tires. That way, the EVIC knows which tire is where.

Rocky04

Reaction score
Before starting to dismount the tire, you have to push in the valve body. This will prevent damge to the valve. After reinstalling the valve body and tire. You have to retrain the EVIC. You can do this by your self. You need a round magnet (P/N: 52109664AA) to do it. Than follow the instruction in the Owners Manual. And don't forget the spar.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i switched rims NTB charged me about $6/wheel to mount the sensors. Rocky04 basically has it covered, they are actually doing something for that charge. If you have an evic from an '04 or earlier, you can retrain your own sensors, altho any magnet as strong as the stock door speaker will do. If you have an evic and sensors from an '05+, I believe they self-train.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys......

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, 05+ sensors self train. Ive never heard of anyone needing to get the sensors "reset"? They are part of the valve stem and shouldnt need to be touched.

alpnst

Reaction score
I just had Revos put on and I actually saved money because I had the TPM's. all I told them was that I have TPM so you won't need to replace the valve stems and they took the valve stem charge off my bill. And with my 05 I didn't have to retrain anything. You should be fine.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never been charged a valve stem fee or had any problems with unmounting/mounting tires on my lib rims.

Never got an extra charge or reset fees or anything. *no evic*

They still work fine after being swapped 3 times. *no evic*

However the third time, yesterday, when I had my crapyears mounted to my stock rims one of the guys broke a sensor while removing the valve stem.
*By broke I mean destroyed*

The whole thing broke off on the inside of the rim.

I put that one on the spare and the rest work fine.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
jeepjeepster said:
Did he pay for it miah? Those things are kinda expensive.

Pay for it, he says... LOL!

I live in the detroit area and theres nothing like that here.

In our parts, that place would be burnt to the ground. O:) Nothing like Kentucky. \:D/

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.