tps light on, but tires "now" fine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started my car after work today and I got an indicator light on the dash and freaked out. Checked my owners manual to see it was the tire pressure. My 2 rear tires were lower than the front, but still above the recommended 33psi it says inside my drivers door. The tires say 44 psi max (sh!tty goodyears) so I inflated the rears to be even with the fronts, about 40 psi and it still hasn't gone off. Do I need a certain pierod of time to let the computer reset or be aware of the new pressure, or do I need to drive on it? I will be getting new tires in the next month or so (definately before winter), either Yoko Geos ATS. Pirelli Scorpions ATRs or Bridgestone Deuler ATs. My concern is if it might be a sensor or just a waiting game until the sensor picks up the new pressure. Thanks in advance.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your Jeep? 40psi is too high for the kj with stock tires. 35-36psi is more like it. Check the spare tire also.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably the spare as jeepster said. You didn't say you checked that.

Dave

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My apologies, it is an 06. I would have never thought of checking the spare. For some reason I thought it only meant the rolling tires. Maybe the increased air pressure could be the reason I feel like I'm on ice when it rains.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 50psi, been running that, a little hard ride, but maximizing gas mileage.
If your running "P" rated tires your going to blow one,and how's having to replace tires every 15,000 miles from worn centers,having less braking ability,and less cornering ability(your more likely to rollover,not a little but a huge percentage)?

To much psi in your tires can actually ruin a TPMS sensor also.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree....try the spare. If not that, disconnect the battery for 30min to reset it....:)

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as FYI: typical battery life on TPMS equipment in the wheel is around 5 years. Some batteries can die early but that is pretty rare.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
My apologies, it is an 06. I would have never thought of checking the spare. For some reason I thought it only meant the rolling tires. Maybe the increased air pressure could be the reason I feel like I'm on ice when it rains.

Nope spare counts too, I have found that 35-36psi is as high as you want to go with the Wrangler ST's if you want any grip.

Cheers,

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did check the spare, and it was fine. I rechecked the tires yesterday in the daylight, not the fluorescent lights in my garage as I did the night before. Upon examining my pass front again, it was a tad low and I added some air. Light went off. Something must be in the tire, although I couldn't find anything, to set the sensor off in the first place and make the pressure drop over night by a few pounds. As I said before, I hopefully will be getting new tires in the next couple of weeks as soon as I narrow down my choice. Thanks again.