TPMS...Tire Pressure Monitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
There is a light on my dash for the TPMS system. However, when I start the KJ the light doesn't come on...and I've never seen it light up. But I looked it up in the manual and found where it would be located...and sure enough its there....but never lights up.

Should it light up when starting the vehicle?

Do not all KJ's have this monitoring system (TPMS)?

How can I tell if I actually have the monitoring system?

Clark

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Look at your wheels, do your valves look like theyre bolted on? If they do, then you do. If they dont. then you dont. all KJs have the dash with all the lights. its just a matter of what is used or not.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out the other day that they're starting to use "regular" looking valve stems on some vehicles so one day we won't be able to tell just by looking at the wheels....on the other hand, starting in '08 ALL vehicles are required to have it I think so I guess it won't matter.

This may have been a useless post, oh well, not the first and probably won't be the last.:D

SupermanWV

Reaction score
My KJ (2007) SPORT 4X4 has rubber valve stems...so I guess it doesn't have the TPMS.

Is it good or bad not to have it? Or does it really not make any difference?

Thanks for the info.

Clark

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
its a perk, not necessary. mine dosnt have it and i dont plan to get it. i carry a tire pressure gauge in the build in tire pressure gauge holder. ( glovebox)

:)

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a second set of the 17 inch 6-spoke limited wheels and bought 4 new TPMS sensors before mounting a set of Blizzaks on them. Haven't heard a peep out of the TPMS system at all. That either means the KJ TPMS is ultra smart and knew the new sensors or my TPMS is not working :)

On a side note, two dealerships on Long Island told me that I would have to bring the vehicle in to get the sensors calibrated and that I would get charged for it. They also wanted $60 per sensor. The dealership in South Carolina that I bought the sensors from wanted $32 per sensor and told me that the KJ would automatically recalibrate itself to the new sensors in at most 5 miles of driving. Lesson learned: avoid the stealership!

In all seriousness, I haven't had any trouble with the TPMS on my KJ limited even with the switch to the second set of wheels & sensors.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In fairness to the dealership, they did not know which Liberty you had and prior to actually going to do the job, would not have known that 05+ calibrate themselves. Now, whether they would have still charged you/cheated you at $60 a wheel even though the thing did the job itself, we will never know........

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh wow, $32 per sensor is a great deal! My dealer wanted around $60 from what I can remember. It may of been higher.