TPMS Question.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the options I had to forego when I took delivery of my dealer-traded CRD vs. the one I most likely was not going to get that was originally ordered was the "enhanced" TPMS. My '05 CRD is equipped with the TPMS, but not the "enhanced" version where each individual tire pressure is displayed on the overhead. The option was only $75 MSRP.....my question is this....Could this be added to my CRD with something as simple as a computer re-flash, or is there something more in depth than a re-flash ?
Greg

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPMS

I think the "advanced" TPMS is an entirely different system (similar to the previous system). You need to have an overhead console (EVIC) with the TPMS capability (not programmable). That system uses different sensors, mounted in the tires. You can make the conversion, but it will cost you a lot more than $75 now -- may not be worth it.

Four new sensors would be about $160 - $180 plus mounting. The EVIC runs over $400 from the dealer. If you have one already, you could sell it, recouping part of your cost. If you don't have one, you'd have to make up a harness. You can find TPMS EVIC's on e-bay, but they are not too common. It would definitely be a project!

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the way I understand it, my KJ Limited CRD with 22G has a "Base" tire pressure monitoring system. There are sensors in 4 tires, and if any tire goes low, the TPMS lamp on the instrument cluster will glow. I will need to manually (sigh) check the tire pressures to determine which is low.

For $75 I could have ordered the "Premium" TPMS, which not only glows the cluster lamp, but presents a message on the EVIC telling me which tire to check. This also includes a sensor in the spare!

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep...that's why I'm thinking it would be something as simple as a computer flash for the upgrade. Anyone tech-related from DC listening & can chime in ?
Greg

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This must be almost too dumb to ask, but what did those DC "tech-related" mechanics at the local dealership tell you?

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roadrunner said:
This must be almost too dumb to ask, but what did those DC "tech-related" mechanics at the local dealership tell you?
I've not taken the time to even ask them yet.....too crazy and busy at work to call and my lunch break is tooooo short !
Greg

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll ask Mr. 5 Star tomorrow. My KJ is with them tonight so they can "diagnose" the cause of the brake moan in the cool air tomorrow morn.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I asked the question about upgrading to premium TPMS. The service advisor had never heard anyone requesting it before, and sent me to parts. The parts man told me there was no upgrade kit, so we spoke to one of the mechanics. As suspected, the mechanic really didn't know. He gave me a long story about it causing a problem with the security system, and that it would confuse all the various computers, and that it would cost thousands to replace all the computers. So as said before, he really doesn't know.

It is likely just a simple programming change in the BCM, but don't expect any of the "techs" working for Mr. 5 Star to understand that. These guys still think a computer is just another part - kinda like a muffler.

Latest posts

Members online