Towing with a KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03 JEEP KJ BIG BLUE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
double axel u haul trailer fully loaded with house hold stuff. it was not to bad just break early. i also have the towing package with the ****** and oil cooler.

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
24 foot Old white deck boat with 4 bolt main sbc 350
Got it free and gave it to my cousin so he could make a toy hauler out of the trailer.
When i stripped the engine out and took it the the junk yard it weighted in at about 5.5k.
I pull a 19 foot skeeter fish/ski boat just about every weekend and i think dry its at 3000lbs or so not loaded with fishing gear.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess I will be good with 32s and 4.10 and a 45rfe with factory tow package pulling a 4k camper from ga to va to my next duty station, I did it with a 95xj but i went from pa to ga last time but traded for kj since then. cant seem to get away from the j's.

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
The factory information is vague. What exactly is in the factory tow package? Does it have the same radiator?

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towed a 1977 BMW on a double axle car hauling trailer from Oregon to SoCal total of about 950 miles. The load weighed about 4800lbs so it almost maxed out the tow capacity of my poor libby.

Did very well and I was pleasantly surprised, had trailer brakes so braking wasn't that terrible. I got about 12-13mpg though average, that was an expensive drive!

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull our pop-up camper, measures 6x10 or so but not sure of the weight. The camper has 8x5.70 wheels so it can't be terribly heavy. I also pull a 14' aluminum boat regularly during the summer and have a 6x10 utility trailer used to haul my fish house and snowmobile in the winter. I installed the hitch and mopar wire harness myself in about an hour, really not that hard if you have the right tools.

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is our camper we pull.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory tow package is a different rear axle ratio(3.73) and a transmission cooler on the radiator, as well as a hitch receiver.

Nope. The factory tow package only adds the wire harness and hitch along with mechanical fan and special fan shroud to enhance cooling of the ****** fluid.

The rear axle ratio on 6-cylinder Libby's is 3.73 - the 4-cylinder models got a different axle ratio (4.10)

You can tow without the tow package if you take care to keep the ****** temps down with a supplemental cooler and/or fan. Libby's after 2002 have the external cooler while the '02s had the in-rad cooler. If you buy a replacement radiator it will have the trans cooler tank built in; you can put that cooler in-line with the external cooler with some relatively simple plumbing and add trans cooler capacity. Ry & Jen just did that on theirs and I'm going to do that on mine this spring.

Bob

sumpter1

Reaction score
Club maintenance trailer loaded with an atv, generator, signs, floor jack, gas auger, chain saw and lots of hand tools. I have towed this several hundred miles and get about 13 mpg.

43253[/ATTACH]"]

Also have used to pull a loaded flatbed on several trips. I have loaded the trailer with 3 atv's a couple of times.

43255[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• 100_0887.jpg
    100_0887.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_4591.jpg
    100_4591.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: