Towing s10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwayner79

Reaction score
I am pulling an s10 this weekend with My '05 Liberty.

I have installed a aftermarket hitch (hidden hitch) and am going to get a wiring harness. I do not have a trailer yet, but am curious what kind of trailer to rent, and if it will have brakes.

The S-10 is a '93 weighs 2700 lbs and is (I am assuming) RWD. Any advice would be appreciated. I am not sure if I need a 7 wire or if the car trailer will just have lights. Can you put a RWD vehicle on one of those trailers where the two front tires are off the ground.

Basically, I'm a complete newbii and need some up front advice so I don't get myself in trouble. Thanks.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you got one of those trailers that leave two wheels on the ground, you could tow it no problem. I wouldnt think those trailers would have brakes, so leave tons of room to stop. More so if its raining. Be sure to lock out O/D.

Ive seen people tow a 2wd truck and leave the rear wheels on the ground. It was a 5speed and not an auto though. They just put the ****** in N. Not sure if that could harm anything.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put the back tires on the dolley, or disconnect the driveline. Then you don't have to worry about anything.

dwayner79

Reaction score
If you got one of those trailers that leave two wheels on the ground, you could tow it no problem. I wouldnt think those trailers would have brakes, so leave tons of room to stop. More so if its raining. Be sure to lock out O/D.

Ive seen people tow a 2wd truck and leave the rear wheels on the ground. It was a 5speed and not an auto though. They just put the ****** in N. Not sure if that could harm anything.
I got to think Neutral in an automatic and neutral in a 5 speed are similar. No?

Thanks for the lock out O/D... Is there a high end on the libby with no OD I assume I won't be going much faster then 50-55 but I do have go 400 miles highway.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you disconnect the driveline?

On the liberty, there are 4 bolts on the rear of the drive-line then you just slide it out of the tcase. Im sure its different depending on what vehicle it is.

Putting an Auto ****** in N is NOT the same as putting a 5speed in N.

There isnt a top speed when you are locked out of O/D. You will be just fine running 55mph with O/D off. If you get up to a higher speed(65 or so), then you could try letting it hold 4th gear. If it starts downshifting though, lock O/D back out.

How many miles are on the liberty? Wouldnt be a bad idea to change out the fluid in the ****** after your done towing the s10 if youve never changed it and you have over 30k miles on the Jeep. Be sure to use ATF+4 in the ******.

Synthetic oil in the engine helps alot when you will be running high rpms for extended periods of time.

You could call a chevy dealer to see what they have to say about towing the s10. They should know what would be best.

dwayner79

Reaction score
Awesome thanks.

I have 31k on the libby now... This is a one time deal, so I do not want to go synthetic, but I will get the ****** fluids changed after the run.

I do not have the second ****** cooler fan. Is there a way to watch the ****** temp on the dash (Sorry its my wife's car) or should I be concerned with stopping regularly to give it a cool down.

dwayner79

Reaction score
I just called, and its a 5 speed.

So no worries on the drive train right?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going down the highway, the ****** will stay cool. Its when it starts downshifting and you get into stop and go traffic that it heats up.

There is a light that will kick on if the ****** gets to hot.

What year is the Liberty?

When I said 5speed, I was refering to a standard transmission.

When we towed the truck with the manual ******, it was a short distance. I do not know if its safe to tow the truck long distances like that.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed a friends car from New Orleans to Nashville and used one of those U-Haul tow thingys that left the rear wheels on the ground. It was a front wheel drive Corolla or something.

I left the overdrive engaged and averaged 70 MPH and 20 MPG the whole trip. I did have a little problem maintaining speed on some hills that I did not anticipate but all in all it was a breeze.

I would recommend using premium fuel though, the engine will run cooler because of it.

Oh, yeah - I have an 02 Limited with the towing package.

Hope this helps...

dwayner79

Reaction score
@jeepjeepster: Its an '05 sport 6 cyl.

Thanks guys. Going to call the chevy dealer this morning... otherwise wish me luck.

R.Rabbit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...down the rabbit hole just ahead of Alice.
I flat towed a type 3 VW from VA to TX, driving about 18hrs straight through the Appilachian Mtns. (By flat tow I mean all four wheels on the ground.) I averaged about 65mph the whole way. The VW was a standard and I had it in neutral with the front wheel unlocked. She weighed in at about 1 ton (2200lbs). I have a 04 with the 3.7l V6 with the Mopar towing hitch and 4 prong wiring harness installed (by me). Gas milage sucked so be prepared for that. :(

tjkoen01

Reaction score
if you get the trailer from u-haul that you park the car on, it hydraulic surge brakes on it, i've hauled a dodge avenger from louisville, ky to houston, tx and back with one of those. that's the safest way to go, IMO. :D

tjkoen01

Reaction score
if you get the trailer from u-haul that you park the car on, it hydraulic surge brakes on it, i've hauled a dodge avenger from louisville, ky to houston, tx and back with one of those. that's the safest way to go, IMO. :D

dwayner79

Reaction score
Cool thanks you guys. We go tomorrow... I got the oil changed, and had the recall on the ball joints done today. The jeep is ready to go.

I'll stop in and let you know how it went.