towing a u-haul?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never have done this....

I am planning a 250 mile trip up I-75 (70-80 mph). I need to move a queen sized bed set up to my mother in law's condo. I am sure there'll be other small misc things to carry too, but really, we're probably looking at 500 lbs max in this trailer.

U-Haul's site has a 4x8 box trailer for $77. The thing that concerns me is they claim not to exceed 45 mph. I am thinking this is just their little CYA thing as I have seen their trailers on the freeway doing much more than that.

Anyone have any experience with this? Will I get crap from them? Are the trailers/tires rated to go these speeds? I won't be in any traffic or anything, just basically cruising up on a Thursday morning.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I believe the speed limit on a Michigan highway is 55MPH if you have a trailer behind you. Don't quote me on that, but I'm about 90% sure it's true. I might have the speed screwed up.

Most likely they're just covering their behinds in case somebody has an accident.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon, I thought it was more than that - like 65 or something. You bring up a good point though, I didn't even think of that until you mentioned it. Off to check....

Edit: Found it:

A person operating a passenger vehicle drawing another vehicle or trailer shall not exceed the posted speed limit.

(6) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, a person operating a truck with a gross weight of 10,000 pounds or more, a truck-tractor, a truck-tractor with a semi-trailer or trailer, or a combination of these vehicles shall not exceed a speed of 55 miles per hour on highways, streets, or freeways and shall not exceed a speed of 35 miles per hour during the period when reduced loadings are being enforced in accordance with this chapter. However, a person operating a school bus, a truck, a truck-tractor, or a truck-tractor with a semi-trailer or trailer described in this subsection shall not exceed a speed of 60 miles per hour on a freeway if the maximum speed limit on that freeway is 70 miles per hour.

I think that means I can go at least 60, and probably 70 by law.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so there's a GVWR restriction. Got it. :) Of course that doesn't apply to us so from what I just read, there IS no speed limit. Of course anyone should drive with some common sense (Read: Slow) if they've got a trailer behind them.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've pulled a few U-tugs with my Jeep and normally stay around 65. If the trailers had little tonka-toy tires I'd do the 45, but in truth you can do more than that. Just take care when slowing, turning, etc and you should be fine.

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never have done this....

I am planning a 250 mile trip up I-75 (70-80 mph). I need to move a queen sized bed set up to my mother in law's condo. I am sure there'll be other small misc things to carry too, but really, we're probably looking at 500 lbs max in this trailer.

U-Haul's site has a 4x8 box trailer for $77. The thing that concerns me is they claim not to exceed 45 mph. I am thinking this is just their little CYA thing as I have seen their trailers on the freeway doing much more than that.

Anyone have any experience with this? Will I get crap from them? Are the trailers/tires rated to go these speeds? I won't be in any traffic or anything, just basically cruising up on a Thursday morning.

I did something similar recently - you'll be fine.

Two things though:
* take it easy when the trailer is empty
* you could prob get the trailer for $15 if you pick it up and drop it off in the same location.

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I played golf with one of the V.P.'s @ U-Haul a few years ago. He was a good friend and let me in on some of the secrets of the trade.

I helped my Brother-in-law move from San Bernardino to Phoenix. I picked up the trailer in Quartzite for a one-way rental to Phoenix. Nobody rents them in Quartzite, so they were itching to get them back into Phoenix. They have SEVERAL facilities here.

Hauled it to Cali, drove back to Phoenix, unloaded and turned it in. Cheapest rental I EVER got. You might rent it locally for a return at the next town over and get a good price. It all depends on where they want or need the trailer to be stationed. It costs them to reposition equipment and they would rather have you pay them to do it than pull it out of their operating budget.

As for speed: Yes, the 45 limit is to cover their liability, as well as, keep YOU safe. I have always maintained highway speeds when I use them. Never a problem. Most of the trailers are built like tanks.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up some furniture a couple years ago with a 6x12 trailer, and had no problems at highway speeds. I dont think I went much above 60, maybe 65... but it was fine. Remember tho, that the jeep has a really narrow turning radius :)

-Blu

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you go and pick it up and hook it up check and be sure all the lights are working and the tires are properly inflated and the lugs on the wheels are all the same distance in on the studs and the brakes work if it has them. They are supposed to do this but I still double check myself for my own satisfaction. Just some thoughts.

Dave

tjkoen01

Reaction score
When you go and pick it up and hook it up check and be sure all the lights are working and the tires are properly inflated and the lugs on the wheels are all the same distance in on the studs and the brakes work if it has them. They are supposed to do this but I still double check myself for my own satisfaction. Just some thoughts.

Dave

To support what Dave said from my personal experience:
-You can't trust the guys at u-haul. I picked up a 6x12 that had 3 leaks in one tire!!
-Make sure all the tires on the trailer are the same pressure. Just having one tire low (from having 3 leaks) will cause problems at highway speeds.
-Be sure not to make the trailer tail heavy, it will tend to steer the vehicle for you on the highway.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Marlon, come on down to Toledo I have a 6X10 foot enclosed sitting in my driveway that you can tow around for a few days and feel like a real trucker! LOL Plus its bright red! Still has some of my wifes stuff from moving her back from Boston but she will not need it for a while!