Towing a boat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a bind. I just spent a lot of money rebuilding my family's boat. Its a 1989 19 foot inboard/outboard ski boat with a 305 chevy block. Unfortunatley, my dads suburban, which would usually tow the boat, crapped out on us while driving to the lake a couple days ago. My question is, can my libby step in and save the day, or is my summer ruined? My Libby is an 03 2wd model. I also don't quite know the weight of the boat, but the trailer is a single axle. I towed the boat around the block a couple times with my libby and it seemd to have no problems, but before I pull it to the lake, I want to confirm that it shouldn't be a problem.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The liberty can tow up to 5k lbs.. Does the trailer have its own brakes? How far is it to the lake? If its not far and you know its not over 5klbs and has brakes, just take it easy and be smart..

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It dosen't have brakes. This was my biggest concern with towing it. Its 30 minutes away.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that thing has an engine that big, I would say it weighs a decent amount so I would really worry about the brakes.. I would not do it if it was raining for sure.

Also, the tow rating on the 2wd models may be lower than the 4wd model..

I say tow that boat at your own risk.. :)

What are the roads like on the way to the lake? Any hills? Braking down those would be bad.. Many red lights or areas that a panic stop would be likely? Think about stuff like that when you are deciding what to do.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think it would be fine if you don't accelerate and brake like a maniac. Think smooth. If you're really worried about the trailer weight, take the whole rig to a truckstop and get it weighed.

RamSport47

Reaction score
what kind of boat is it? I work for a boat dealership, and boats that size usually weigh in at about 2000lbs. If it was more than 2500lbs, state law would require the trailer to have brakes. I think you're just fine for towing with the Libby

RamSport47

Reaction score
If that thing has an engine that big, I would say it weighs a decent amount so I would really worry about the brakes.. I would not do it if it was raining for sure.

Also, the tow rating on the 2wd models may be lower than the 4wd model..

I say tow that boat at your own risk.. :)

What are the roads like on the way to the lake? Any hills? Braking down those would be bad.. Many red lights or areas that a panic stop would be likely? Think about stuff like that when you are deciding what to do.

2wd would be rated slightly higher than a 4wd model due to less mechanical equipment

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be fine, just leave a little extra room for stopping. I've towed with and without the brakes, and although the brakes make it a bit easier for stopping, as long as you use your head and keep an eye out in front of you, you should be fine. If you have a single axle trailer on that boat, I am sure it isn't over 5000 lbs. in weight and it won't be an issue.

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the lake today, everything went great. Thanks for the quick responses all.

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No trouble at all! I saw some mini vans pulling in towing boats about the same size as my boat. At that point I had no doubt the libby would do fine.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towing

I towed a full size Chevy van on a 16' trailer over a mountain on I-26 between Johnson City, TN and Asheville, NC with no problems. I estimated the weight at 4800 pounds.