Tow with the 07 or buy a truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoryKlein

Reaction score
Hey new here and looking for you opinions.

I have read several threads on this topic so I will try and not be too redundant. Was thinking of towing a travel trailer with the 07. Trailer is dry 1800# with max gross at 2500# and has brakes. Picked my Libby up for my wife and two kids years ago and she loves it. It is 4wd auto, has rad fan and 4 pin in back with hitch receiver but no clutch fan so no tow package or at least I dont think so. I have recently changed water pump, radiator, hoses and thermostat due to some small leaks and just figured do it all while I was there. Also maintain fluids plugs etc so it runs pretty well about 180k on it.

Sounds to me like plenty of guys have pulled more on a regular basis on here than I will. I plan on pulling worst case once a month but likely less then that. I already figured it would suffer up hills classic problem with a smaller motor but with trailer brakes I would feel safe on the down hills and the simple fact that the horse still outweighs the cart. So heres my thoughts on it and please add, subtract, criticize

Need to confirm hitch is good and add 7 pin. Also add brake controller inside
Better rear diff fluid? lower gearing?
Tires are new has 29s on it dynapros no lift
Probably new shocks all around?
Pads and rotors are newer but will check change if needed
Another transmission cooler aside from the stock one? Bigger pan for more transmission fluid?
Anything else you guys think?

Or just pony up and buy a truck? lol I have a 95 F150 single cab for dessert running and crawling wouldnt work well for pulling with the 5.0 so its Libby or new family truck.

Thanks guys

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow a trailer that size all the time with my Liberty. Install a fan clutch with mechanical fan, and a transmission cooler and you should be all good. V-8’s and diesels towing 5th wheels will pass you going uphill, but the V6 will get you there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After adding the HD cooling, a brake controller, and possibly a bigger trans cooler, you should be good to go. I ended up adding sway control since I was having some tail wagging issues at interstate speeds.

I also added air bags inside the rear coils as I cant stand a sagging vehicle. Weight distribution would be better, but Ive not wanted to invest in that just yet.

I just have the factory trans cooler on my 04 and its been 'ok.' I also added a PML pan and that seems to have helped with keeping it cool. Routine servicing of the trans is very important IMHO.

Terrain in your area decides a lot. We have nothing but hills around here, so the V6 really struggles...

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely want to be able to have brakes on whatever trailer you pull, (nearly) regardless of size. You can never have too much WHOA at your disposal.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
A fully loaded KJ will do the job, but stock it is going to be a slow effort. The 3.7 and such can handle it, but the transmission is a notorious mess. Towing with mine as stock is very ******* the machine, so I avoid it as I havent done the upgrades many on here suggest for towing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I;ve towed from Ohio to Boston MA several times, Ohio to Orlando FL 4 times, Ohio to Winston Salem NC 4 times now plus all over Ohio
Both of my KJs that I tow with are lifted, 4.10 gearing etc and no issues, no issues with transmission in either the 03 or 04
If stock I would upgrade the junk stock suspension and shocks , would make a world of difference in handling since the stockers are weak and junk when brand new

Mothman73

Reaction score
Hey new here and looking for you opinions.

I have read several threads on this topic so I will try and not be too redundant. Was thinking of towing a travel trailer with the 07. Trailer is dry 1800# with max gross at 2500# and has brakes. Picked my Libby up for my wife and two kids years ago and she loves it. It is 4wd auto, has rad fan and 4 pin in back with hitch receiver but no clutch fan so no tow package or at least I dont think so. I have recently changed water pump, radiator, hoses and thermostat due to some small leaks and just figured do it all while I was there. Also maintain fluids plugs etc so it runs pretty well about 180k on it.

Sounds to me like plenty of guys have pulled more on a regular basis on here than I will. I plan on pulling worst case once a month but likely less then that. I already figured it would suffer up hills classic problem with a smaller motor but with trailer brakes I would feel safe on the down hills and the simple fact that the horse still outweighs the cart. So heres my thoughts on it and please add, subtract, criticize

Need to confirm hitch is good and add 7 pin. Also add brake controller inside
Better rear diff fluid? lower gearing?
Tires are new has 29s on it dynapros no lift
Probably new shocks all around?
Pads and rotors are newer but will check change if needed
Another transmission cooler aside from the stock one? Bigger pan for more transmission fluid?
Anything else you guys think?

Or just pony up and buy a truck? lol I have a 95 F150 single cab for dessert running and crawling wouldnt work well for pulling with the 5.0 so its Libby or new family truck.

Thanks guys
Hi Folks ,
My trailer is a 2013 Camplite which tips the scales fully loaded at 2600 lbs. My Libby is a stock 2011 Sport 4x4 without a factory tow package . From my home in Indiana I have pulled the trailer from coast to coast in all kinds of conditions with no issues . Gas mileage
ranges from 14 to 8 . Overall average is 12 . Mileage on the Jeep now
is 167000 . High winds or curvy mountain roads can electronically
disable the electronic stability control and 4wd but this automatically
resets after parking the camper a driving a mile or two without it .
Check out the photos . Mothman

Mothman73

Reaction score
Why do winds or curvy roads disable ESP? Never heard of that.
It disables ESC (electronic stability control )not ESP ( extra sensory perseption )but I do not know why . On a recent trip
I encountered gusty sidewinds in Oklahoma that caused the same
result without a trailer . It seems to me that the ESC programing is the problem and I will just have to live with it .

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check alignment
When the 07s came out there were issues when lifted any at all , and if alignment was not spot on it would do that at times without warning, rare but happened

Mothman73

Reaction score
Interesting but the alignment is good and the suspension is stock.
This issue was only a problem when it happened in the mountains while pulling my camper and it would not go into 4wd low when I needed it to back my trailer uphill into a camping spot . I had to disconnect the battery to reset the computer then it would go into
4 low .

Vin

Reaction score
I tow a trailer that size all the time with my Liberty. Install a fan clutch with mechanical fan, and a transmission cooler and you should be all good. V-8’s and diesels towing 5th wheels will pass you going uphill, but the V6 will get you there.

I absolutely love that picture! I don't even have ask if you had fun...

Latest posts

Members online