Tow "thingy" rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi :)

The KJ Tow Hooks are rated with a towing capacity up to 5,000 pounds... The problem is that I don't have them sad2.gif

Instead, I have a thing like the one in the picture.

You must be registered for see images

Someone knows what is the towing capacity of those things?

The Mopar Front Tow Hooks price is US$317.50, and USD$250 for the rear one at my local stealership. I still haven't found a on-line store with lower prices, including shipping and taxes.

Meanwhile I've been thinking in buying a couple of shackles for the tow strap... Does it makes any sense?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
They're trying to get over on you. Go to jparts.com quickly.

What the heck is that in that picture? Never seen or heard of those before.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
go to wyckoff!!!
87 90 something shipped!
they are quoting you the individual price ordered wich is like 120 each.. they just dont want to lookup the kit number.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to wyckoff!!!
87 90 something shipped!
they are quoting you the individual price ordered wich is like 120 each.. they just dont want to lookup the kit number.

At http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/jeeplibfront.html, when I go to the shipping method, the page shows "The requested service is unavailable between the selected locations". I tried every shipping method available.

Seems to I have keep looking... sad2.gif

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
on second thought. when i spoke to my dealer about the kit. he tried to sell me the 111 each hook deal. until i toldhim that was insane price and that there was a pair online. he looked again and said that he found the kit for around 120 115 or so. Try contacting your dealer again mentioning this. you might be able to get the kit for 150 ish.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for a vendor on eBay. I bought mine on eBay for $95-$100. They where brand new and that price also included shipping.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't tell from the pic what you have. If those "things" have a hole in them a shackle should fit. I think it is the shipping to Chile that is the problem???

You must have off-road equipment stores down there?? I am guessing you have a lot of dirt "roads" once you get out of the city.

The tow rating? I am not sure but It would seem 5000# would be the minimum. I have the OEM ones and they don't say what the rating is.

Dave

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Those things sticking out of Alex's bumper are more than likely shipping tie down straps. They look and work like tow hooks, but probably used to strap the Libby down on the ship/train/flatbed that delivered it to Chile.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two close-ups to the "thingy".

Thanks for any help! :)

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as good? How? No tow strap connects to those without hook/shackle ends and many people have hesitation about using those in recovery applications because they can break loose and become wicked shrapnel. good shackle, though, could be put on the end of a tow strap in order to use those tow rings, though, yes, they are just not as easily used as a hook or shackle because they are permanently closed. Plus you don't know the rating on them. If they are in fact for shipping purposes, they may not be rated too high.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
that is the same mount they use for the mopar hooks. the loop would have to stretch/break/bend off to become a hazard. I dont know for sure but i bet hes not doing class 4+ trail offroading. if he wants to use this for a " pull me out of the mud or snow" then it should be just as good. id be willing to bet that your towrope would fail first for basic pulling.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same tow hook as the one in the picture ,factory fitted . They are recovery hooks for loading on to flatbeds ect.

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Speaking of tow hooks.....I just ebayed a rear tow hook(mopar) and wondered if it will mount on either side in the rear? I had a quick look tonite with flashlight, but didn't get a real good look. Now all I need is 2 front hooks and no bent cracked plastic bumpercovers......:D