Tow bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen various people post pics of their towbars and one i like the look of is a drawrite class 111 as it hidden when not in use ,but in the pics there doesnt seem to be any electrical hook up mounting point. Am i to assume you guys in US dont need trailer electrics? In UK we have an circular electrical socket connected to tow bar frame and when we hook up trailer ect we connect the two together.Any help or advice would be appreciated.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm pulling a trailer that requires elec. hook up then I do need one here in the US. I just put a hitch on my KJ and I didn't install a wire harness on it. Mostly because I don't have anything to tow right now. My main reason for installing the hitch was to have a recover point in the rear so in case I ever get stuck or I gotta pull someone out. I do eventually plan on getting a trailer to move stuff and when I do I'll also install the wire harness as well.

The round circle socket you speak of is a 7 Pin connector if I'm not mistaken. We also have a straight 4 pin connector as well. Do you also have 4 pin connectors in the UK?

Last edited:

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure on the four pin connector .I cant see were you would mount the electrical connector to the towbar on us specs ones ,do you have to buy a seperate mounting kit?. Over here its all built in.But ours are feeble looking with swan necks if you want the advantage of quick removal, oh and they want about $600 for the bar and extra for wiring kit.If your us specs ones will allow uk electrics i could probably buy one and pay for shipping and it would still be cheaper than purchasing from uk.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do making mounting brackets for the 4 pin but most people wrap them around the Hitch. At least around here they do. If you want a mounting bracket for your connector. Its usually welded or bolted onto the hitch by the Garage/installation Place. I haven't really seen a hitch in stores with the connector mount already on the Hitch. I'm sure they have them though. In fact I was looking at the mounting brackets today it was only 8 to 12 dollars. Here is the link to that site.

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/libert...ing-Connector-Mounting-Bracket-P2324C524.aspx

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheers i will try to find out if uk spec connectors are the same as yours,and proceed from there.I may need to ask some more questions to make sure i order the correct complete package.Thanks for your replies.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheers i will try to find out if uk spec connectors are the same as yours,and proceed from there.I may need to ask some more questions to make sure i order the correct complete package.Thanks for your replies.

No Problem. You're Welcome.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed a OEM hitch it had a bracket welded on it and the adapter for the 4-pin and was setup for the 7-pin connector,it was to the left of the center of the hitch.Had to purschase the connector seperately,I got the 4-pin for I will never tow anything that has the 7-pin,also got the OEM connector.

Latest posts

Members online