Torqued UCA bolts with Jeep in the air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running my KJ with a new passenger-side UCA and LCA for about 2 weeks now, and I torqued the bolts when the Jeep was still in the air (I only torqued the front bolt, the rear one I just snugged up as much as I could).

Since I now know that you shouldn't torque the bolts until the weight is on the wheels again, can I just loosen and re-torque the bolts with the Jeep on the ground, or should I raise the Jeep, loosen, lower the Jeep and re-torque? As for the LCA bolts, I was only able to torque them because having the front end in the air gave me the space I needed to get my torque wrench and cheater pipe in there and have a decent arc to swing through... how do you get round that with the wheels on the ground?

And how are you supposed to get accurate torque on the rear UCA bolt? I was able to get a ratchet wrench directly onto the bolt, but there was no room to swing it, so I ended up using an extension and swivel socket to get to it from about where the front bolt is. The swivel means that any torque setting will be off, right? That's why I just snugged it up.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would raise it back up/ loosen/ drop back on the ground and then tighten