torque Converter issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotgigaflops

Reaction score
I seem to be having a torque converter issue, When I drive twisty wv roads the jeep will shift in to OD and at some point when accelerating slightly this will cause the gas peddle to vibrate. Now pressing harder will bring on an up shift but with trying to conserve gas I don't want to have to floor it to get it to shift. I acts just like you are driving a standard in too high of a gear.

I took it to my dealer, they found a TSB that offer a flash for the transmission but it didn't help this issue. Has anyone had this issue?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hit that little button on the gear shift, thats y its there, and yes, the libby does shift into od and lock the toque very soon, i think its to save gas. Turn od off when not going over speeds of 45 for awhile and it should fix this.

gotgigaflops

Reaction score
ITS FIXED!!! my dealer installed a new torque converter, and now the vibration is gone!

If your liberty is shifting in to OD too soon and causing a vibration between 40-50 mph and it does not do it when the OD is off then you have a bad torque converter.

The problem was so minor to the dealer that they could hardly feel it but for me driving it daily it was making me crazy, turning off the OD would help but I didn't think I should have to do that.

They called Jeep and told them what it was doing on and they gave him the OK to replace the torque converter.