Too much weight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went camping and used a hitch basket to carry all my gear. I did not think I had too much weight on it, certainly less than the 500 pounds it is rated to hold but it affected the Jeep's handling more than I would like. I had some stuff in the cargo area too but nothing too heavy. Am I asking too much out of such a small vehicle or is it more likely the crappy factory springs?

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is not so that the spring are that crappy. They are made to take the weight in the jeep so when you add weight outside at the rear you move the center of gravity and the balance point. Yes better suspension would help but it will always change the game. Same as placing stuff on the top of the jeep will get it to roll on the side more easily.

Last edited:

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the same basket on my old ZJ and I could not tell it was back there. I guess the shorter wheel base on my KJ plus weak springs makes it have more effect.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
weak springs and worn out shocks, plus the weight sitting back behind the bumper creating a titter-totter effect

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
weak springs and worn out shocks, plus the weight sitting back behind the bumper creating a titter-totter effect
:Good or Bad:

:smokin:

Dave

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my KJ sagged using one of these two until the installation of my OME lift. It sags a bit now, but it's barely noticeable and it handles exactly the same.