To pull the trigger or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aterfy27

Reaction score
Some of you may recall a few weeks back when I posted a thread inquiring about an 04 Liberty renegade. Initially, the dealership was asking $7,300. They have since dropped their price twice and are now down to $5,899. So i took it for a test drive and enjoyed it quite a bit! So i had my mechanic check it out. Here are some of the things he found:

-Front rotors are rusting, front pads at 50%
-Rear brakes brand new
-Driver side front axle seal leaking
-****** cooler lines leaking
-Valve cover leaking
-Power steering pump leaking
-Oil pan has been replaced
-Bottom rocker panel rusting
-Rear upper control bushing is bad

So, looking for some advice on this one. I don't know too much as far as repair costs would go but i feel like some of the leaky things wouldn't be too expensive to repair but I am concerned about the rust and the control bushing. The mechanic made it sound like the previous owner did a lot of towing with it which is what probably caused the wear on the rear control bushing (his words, not mine, i dunno) but that other than that most of the other things were pretty minor and not too surprising for an 11 year old car.

Thoughts, then? Pull the trigger? Walk away? Talk them down more and then go for it? Again, it's an 04 Renegade with 109,000 miles. Also, the fenders are faded and there's a small dent in the rear bumper, but i'm not too concerned about that. Let me know what you would do!

aterfy27

Reaction score
Ok, here are some pics the mechanic took for me.
First is leaking axle seal.
2nd is ****** cooler lines leaking i believe.
3rd shows rotor rust.
4th rocker panel rust
5th Leaking power steering pump i think.

Attachments

• SAM_0218.jpg
    SAM_0218.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 62
  • SAM_0219.jpg
    SAM_0219.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 52
  • SAM_0220.jpg
    SAM_0220.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 50
  • SAM_0222.jpg
    SAM_0222.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 54
  • SAM_0224.jpg
    SAM_0224.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 46

aterfy27

Reaction score

6th showing replaced oil pan
7th/8th showing damaged bushing that will need replaced.
9th showing leaking valve cover i think

Attachments

• SAM_0225.jpg
    SAM_0225.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 49
  • SAM_0226.jpg
    SAM_0226.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 49
  • SAM_0227.jpg
    SAM_0227.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 48
  • SAM_0228.jpg
    SAM_0228.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 51

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strictly based on the amount of rust on that vehicle I would pass. Also looks like the rear main seal might be leaking in that picture of the oil pan. I'm also curious to know why there is a residue all over the rear differential and parts around it.

My brakes always seem to get that rust ring around it, by the way. I don't think the brake pad hits the entire rotor. Shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$5900+taxes+dealer fees=app $6500/$6600
+all the repairs/fluid changes will probably add up $10,000 to get her fixed up

On top of that all the things that can randomly go out like radiator, if it has aftermarket one installed, transmission, if it ever has overheated and the fluid hasn't been changed, etc etc.

Since owning my lib, the longest i went without replacing something is probably 2-3 months.

I would see if there is one in a better condition in your area for sale, might be more expensive right off the bat but will save you $$$ in the long run.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not buy it, the rust is like cancer and also who knows if the engine was run dry of oil before they replaced the oil pan.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pass i got mine for $5500 at 115000 miles. With little to no rust. Needed a battery brakes tires and the windshield has some dings. I have done everything but the windshield.

aterfy27

Reaction score
Hmm, are you guys saying too much rust based on the picture of the rusted panel or on something you're seeing in the other pics as well? Mechanic made it sound like it wasn't really too bad from what he saw...

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd walk and look for a nicer vehicle. That thing could turn into a money pit in a hurry if ya can't do a lot of the work yourself. Are you set on getting a Jeep or are you looking at other brands?

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too much rust and other stuff needing fixing, for the $ they're asking for it.

The rust, though it isn't too bad right now, what about in 3 or 5 years. The rust forming at the upper control arm mount location is terminal. And one of the other pics, it looks like rust is forming near a double walled reinforced area underneath the Jeep. Two of the worse places to have rust on any vehicle.

That leaky axle seal could lead to a bad bearing and/or axle shaft.

Hydraulic power steering hoses aren't cheap. You can find them all day long online for 60 bucks, but a quality piece costs more. I replaced one and the part was $135

Personally, I would pass on the Liberty. It's too much money for a Liberty needing that much work.

BorincanoKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aterfy27 I strongly agreed with all forum members here. Look elsewhere. You'd be paying a lot of money to the salesman and if you are going to repair yourself or have someone else to do the repair you probably you'll be spending a lot. It is not worth it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except for the first shot of the rocker panel (I've never seen rust below the rocker panel before) nothing really seems that bad. There are components that look bad like the rear boomerang that's shot but to me most looks like surface rust. Of course I live in a rust belt state so I've seen much worse that ended up being repairable.

Most of the leaks are common to this engine except the leak toward the back of the engine. Could be a rear main seal but unless it's leaving significant drops it wouldn't be cost effective to repair.

My 2 cents...

Bob

jeepkjrenagade

Reaction score
lets take a look

Some of you may recall a few weeks back when I posted a thread inquiring about an 04 Liberty renegade. Initially, the dealership was asking $7,300. They have since dropped their price twice and are now down to $5,899. So i took it for a test drive and enjoyed it quite a bit! So i had my mechanic check it out. Here are some of the things he found:

-Front rotors are rusting, front pads at 50%
-Rear brakes brand new
-Driver side front axle seal leaking
-****** cooler lines leaking
-Valve cover leaking
-Power steering pump leaking
-Oil pan has been replaced
-Bottom rocker panel rusting
-Rear upper control bushing is bad

So, looking for some advice on this one. I don't know too much as far as repair costs would go but i feel like some of the leaky things wouldn't be too expensive to repair but I am concerned about the rust and the control bushing. The mechanic made it sound like the previous owner did a lot of towing with it which is what probably caused the wear on the rear control bushing (his words, not mine, i dunno) but that other than that most of the other things were pretty minor and not too surprising for an 11 year old car.

Thoughts, then? Pull the trigger? Walk away? Talk them down more and then go for it? Again, it's an 04 Renegade with 109,000 miles. Also, the fenders are faded and there's a small dent in the rear bumper, but i'm not too concerned about that. Let me know what you would do!

i bought my 05 liberty renegade not to long ago only problems were front end bumper cover and grill damage from a deer for $3500 if i were you id take a look on craigslist to see any deals on jeep KJs, also i wouldn't pay more than $5500 for the liberty the dealer is sealing you. plus if they did a lot of towing engine may be worn down more than usual (probably equates to 160k miles) but in all i would try to talk the down to $5000 but don't pay more than $5500

aterfy27

Reaction score
Except for the first shot of the rocker panel (I've never seen rust below the rocker panel before) nothing really seems that bad. There are components that look bad like the rear boomerang that's shot but to me most looks like surface rust. Of course I live in a rust belt state so I've seen much worse that ended up being repairable.

Most of the leaks are common to this engine except the leak toward the back of the engine. Could be a rear main seal but unless it's leaving significant drops it wouldn't be cost effective to repair.

My 2 cents...

Bob

Wanna say thanks to everyone for their input. I am of the same mindset as Bob though--I'm in a rust belt/salt belt state as well and I didn't see any rust that really looked killer to me. Most cars around here have just as much, if not more, on the undercarriage. Anyways, I really like this truck. I sent an email back to the salesperson that I've been negotiating with saying that if they could get the control arm repair done for me then I could be comfortable going forward but if they can't do that for me then I'm out.

RollerJ

Reaction score
I'd walk away. Seriously .. There ripping u off. To much for so much damage and replacement parts. Think about it.maybe worth 2 o 3 k. Best of luck.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even without the rust there are some leaks that are questionable. Some can be taken care of with ease...others...

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO I'd walk away as well. If that were indeed the rear main leaking you'd be looking at a large repair bill as the ****** would need to come out to replace it.
Way to high of a price tag considering all that is wrong and will soon be going wrong. The rust on them rockers will be full of holes soon and where I'm from they fail inspection. So again, if you're not a good wrench or welder you're looking at yet another high repair bill. Also, they don't give away those rear upper control arms (boomerang) either which looks like needs immediate attention. Hey, if you can stomach it go for it. Good luck!

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First is leaking axle seal.
7528d1438883940-pull-trigger-not-sam_0218.jpg

Doesn't look like axle seal leaking (much), looks like front diff cover is leaking. Much bigger job to replace as front diff needs to come out. If it isn't the front It might be pinion seal oozing forward down the diff towards the front as we can't see from this angle.

If your in, it has to be for less cash. The rust is the least of my concerns.

Last edited: