TJ 5spd. trans.(ax-15 mod.)problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drfd74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a new member as of 12/21/09, also just learning this forum process.
My vechs., mine 1997 TJ red hardtop w/ 91,000+ mi.-my wife's recent purchase a 2007 KJ silver sport w/ 36,000+ mi.
I really enjoy reading and learning about all that I have seen so far, so I just had to join.
My beef with my TJ is, when its cold my 5spd. is real hard to shift to 2nd gear.
I don't like to force it in so some times I skip to 3rd or dbl. clutch & it slips in.
After it warms up its just fine. I had the gear lube switched out to a lighter WT
and synth. also I installed a Hurst shifter, checked & lubed linkage. Some better but not a cure. Is this common problem? (90,000+ miles-- AX-15 trans. I think).
Any ideas?
drfd74

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my '99 TJ. When it got down in the 40's (that's cold for Phoenix) it was harder shifting until it warmed up... so no real problem as far as I was concerned.

JMichaelsJeep

Reaction score
I used to have an 87 YJ and a 00' TJ Sahara and when the temp dropped to below 40 and particularly below freezing (both were manuals) it would be sticky/ tough gummed up feeling at first. Same situation as AZKJ stated. After I let it idle for a few minutes or drove for a little while it would loosen up. I would say no severe cause for concern, but changing fluids to something weather appropriate isn't a bad idea either :)