tire size/height question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dotcentral

Reaction score
I didn't find this addressed elsewhere, so here it goes.

The horrible Wrangler 2157516's are shot and need replaced. We are trying to keep this an everyday vehicle with no real need for offroad capacity, but do want to not worry about rain, ice, or snow. But we can't seem to find anything other than the same crappy wranglers in this size. Anyone know of a good all season tire in this size for our Libertys? We need something safe and predictable that will not hydroplan or lose traction like the wranglers do. We/she is not interested in mudding, rock crawling, or anything else like that.

If not, I guess I'll try a 2257016, looks like they are about 1/4-1/3" shorter. I doubt this is enough to adversely affect the Liberty.

Anyone been done this road before and got something they can share?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look for other sizes as there are many that fit with out rubbing
some of them are
225/75R16
235/70R16
245/70R16
also stay away from P-metric tires and look for LT tires
the rear wheel drive along with the low gears and good power to weight
with crappy tires will make driving in the rain interesting

We ran Goodyear Wrangler ATS's ,225/75R16 on my wife's '03 KJ for 3 years
because of that same issue
We now have a lift and 245/75 MTR's ,loud
If I could do it over again I would go with BFG AT's or Goodyear Silent Armor ,wich replaced the ATS

dotcentral

Reaction score
I ordered a set of Yokohama Geolander H/T - something like that. All season Highway tread. The reviews looked pretty good on Tire Rack. Getting 4 mounted, balanced, stems, old tire disposal for just a little over $500 from Discount Tire.

Could have got the the same tire in an All Terrain for a few bucks cheaper, but considering about the closest we come to off road is dirt and gravel roads this is probably a better match for us. I will post results over time in case someone else is interested.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the geolander AT-S tire and do mostly highway driving and the tires work great, very little road noise and very smooth. Also would have done better for snow and heavy rain over the H/T's. the AT-S tires did better in every category over the H/T tires even in dry conditions and comfort

Should have gave us a few more days to help you find a good tire for what your going for. But anyways, its been done so goodluck.

Last edited:

dotcentral

Reaction score
Well, I wound up with 23570 Geolanders, still the H/T. Good tread depth, not very aggressive, but looks like it will do good in the rain. I could have saved a few bucks if we went with the A/T.

I bought these based on comments I saw on Tire Rack, our typical driving conditions, and price. I'll post back in a few months and give a report.

Libby Lady

Reaction score
Tires?

Anyone want to give suggestions for tires to replace they sucky stock ones?
I would love to not screw this up since its expensive. No male family around to rely on for advice.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we could gladly help, but more info on what you want is needed.

Do you have 215/75? What do you plan on doing in the KJ? Are you open to other sizes? 225/75 or 235/70 are other stock sizes - I have the 235's because I have the off-road package. If you plan on lifting, you could go bigger (and I'd recommend at least the 235 if you plan on lifting at all, otherwise they'll look way too tiny.

Really, need to know what you plan on doing with them and the vehicle to recommend. I want an aggressive A/T, like a Goodrich A/T or the General Grabber AT2's. I have a very slight lift, so I am planning on 245/70 or 245/75 (75's will require wheelwell modification).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to give suggestions for tires to replace they sucky stock ones?
I would love to not screw this up since its expensive. No male family around to rely on for advice.

Everyone has tire opinions so you need to get the ones that best suit YOUR driving conditions. Where do you live (in the snow belt or the sunbelt?) Will you stay on pavement or perhaps venture off road. So then determine the type of tire you need based on your driving and go from there.

If you start a new thread more people will see it and you will get better responses as to size and type of tire. In the thread state what type of driving you will be doing and your tire size as there are several...The more info you can provide, the better the answers will be. Then once you narrow it down you can check on line for pricing and pictures and/or look at a couple of your local tire places and compare.

As you said tires are expensive and the stock ones (depending on which ones you have) leave a little to be desired.

Dave

Libby Lady

Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Dave and Mr. Kevin for your offers to help. A guy in my office said to look on Jeep sites for help: could be code for shut up and leave me alone.
I have a 2004 Liberty Renegage with 42,800 miles. It has 235/70R Goodyear SRA-AT which are God awful! I bought it from my neighbor who got deployed to Iraq and I know its service hist.
I am on the outskirts of Canton, OH on farm and don't offroad much, so I guess mostly highway is what I need. I do run into snow going to work in the AM at times, and I am tired of the slippy slide already.
Thank you for you kindness since I do not know my way around this site.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, that info helps.

Before I start looking around, what do you plan on spending? Are you looking for a good 50-60k mile tire, or something cheap but better than SR-A's (not hard to be better! I have them too).

I can't look immediately, but if you answer with your price range or wants, I can look and respond later tonight (in just a few hours).

Libby Lady

Reaction score
I have around $400 saved for tires. You think I can find a decent set plus mounting and bal. for this?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$400 is going to be a stretch...let me look and see what I can see. Do you plan on replacing the spare too, or just leaving the SR-A? If you aren't upgrading size (which, for you I wouldn't recommend), then I see no reason to, just leave that as a spare. That'll save $100+.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Libby Lady.......You said you have a Renegade Model. You probably have the off-road package with skids and hooks and trac-loc rear end. Nice. You should possibly consider an A/T tire. Maby a General Grabber A/T 2 would be the most aggressive you would want. Some people on here run them. Might be a little more than $400 in your size for 4 mounted and balanced, etc. You could check some of the online places for pricing to get an idea even if you were to get them in your local area.

Dave

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to recomend the tried and true and awesome Bridgestone A/T Revo to you both that are inquiring. You can fit the 235/70/16 on a non-lifted KJ without any issues. The tires are freakin great in ALL weather conditions, even after 50,000 miles on mine, they still werent loosing traction on wet roads. Lookin at near 150 each with mounting, balancing, and install.
WELL worth the money, after all, the tires are what connect your expensive vehicle to the road, right?

Libby Lady

Reaction score
Thanks for the input on my issue. Seriously do people really buy a spare to match? I won't be doing that since my budget is limited. Is there a buyers comparison guide anywhere? It looks like I may have to wait a little if I can't find some for limitied funds. My buddy at work was right. You all are nice! :)

I am super happy with my ride with the excep. of the sucky tires. Once that is done I will be oolala I'm so lucky. ;)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this link will work: Tirerack

The Goodrich TKO's and Grabber AT's are going to be more aggressive than what you need (in my opinion). Revo's and Silent Armor's are going to put you over your price range, but they are good tires.

I'd recommend looking at the Bridgestone Dueler's, the Firestone Destination, Kunho Road Ventures, or Yokohama Geolander's. Really, from my initial reading, the Destinations seem to have a good review - although it seems they wear fast. Maybe message Jeepjeepster, I think he has to geolander A/T's and loves them.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I have the Geolander A/T-S and they are doing great. They are a bit on the soft side which means they wont last as long as other tires but they handle rain and snow great. Im looking at 35k Max..

Libby Lady

Reaction score
I have news. I spent my afternoon calling around to get prices on the tires you recommended. Canton/Massillon/Akron/even Cleveland. Anyway today I find out that I get a $100 Christmas bonus next Fri. So this time next week I will be sportin' a new round of tires. Santa will be coming early. Thanks guys and I'll let you know when I decide which ones for sure. :)
Good call with that link for the ratings.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Firestone Dest. A/T. They are great in the snow and city/hwy. For off-road purposes, they do okay, definitely not a M/T tire, but that's not what you want. So far I got ~10K on them, and they are wearing well. I get 4-wheel rotation every 3k (free).