Tire size for 04 Liberty Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miller2

Reaction score
My wife wanted a slightly larger tire for her Liberty Limited 4x4, but TireRack said no other tire than stock will fit. True or false? She has no lift and doesnt want one.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have 235/65R17's, right? I know you can go wider, for sure but, probably not much taller without rubbing on the pinch weld behind the front tires, at the least. I'm not gonna swear to it but, I'd think about the largest you might get would be 30x9.5", and even that might be too big. All these Libby's seem to have different clearances/heights at stock so pretty much, find a local shop that stocks a bunch of sizes and see if they'll let you test fit tires to see what you can get. If nothing larger will fit, go for better tread. The stock Goodyears suck so any improvement will be extremely noticeable.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
People run 245/65 R17" s and swear by them on same 03 KJ LTD with 17" wheels. I haven't had the gut to try that.
As for wider tires, it is a bit of a problem, especially in the front. They will rub inside at full turn.....

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People run 245/65 R17" s and swear by them on same 03 KJ LTD with 17" wheels. I haven't had the gut to try that.
As for wider tires, it is a bit of a problem, especially in the front. They will rub inside at full turn.....

That would be approximately 29.5"x9.5" so I could see that working. I think you'd still have to trim some plastic and pound over the pinch weld, though. But, if your wife's not willing to get a lift, I doubt she's gonna let you cut and pound on it.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always try to find someone willing to trade your 17" rims for their 16"s. That would make it a lot easier to get a better tire without modification.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be approximately 29.5"x9.5" so I could see that working. I think you'd still have to trim some plastic and pound over the pinch weld, though. But, if your wife's not willing to get a lift, I doubt she's gonna let you cut and pound on it.

I forgot his name, but he did it without any modification on his 03.

miller2

Reaction score
You have 235/65R17's, right? I know you can go wider, for sure but, probably not much taller without rubbing on the pinch weld behind the front tires, at the least. I'm not gonna swear to it but, I'd think about the largest you might get would be 30x9.5", and even that might be too big. All these Libby's seem to have different clearances/heights at stock so pretty much, find a local shop that stocks a bunch of sizes and see if they'll let you test fit tires to see what you can get. If nothing larger will fit, go for better tread. The stock Goodyears suck so any improvement will be extremely noticeable.

No...235/70-16.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh. 16s, on a Ltd? Hmm, I thought the Ltd's all had 17's from 04-up. Afraid I can't really help much, except to say that, I wouldn't go more than 29.5" to 30"x9.5" at the most, without a lift. mm x .03937 = in so 235/70R16 = about 9.25"x29"

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oh. 16s, on a Ltd? Hmm, I thought the Ltd's all had 17's from 04-up. Afraid I can't really help much, except to say that, I wouldn't go more than 29.5" to 30"x9.5" at the most, without a lift. mm x .03937 = in so 235/70R16 = about 9.25"x29"

No, standard 17s started for MY '05. That's the same year the '02 - '04 standard Limited Mechanica wheels were the optional wheels for the Sport. I have them from the factory. My friend has the '02-'04 optional Sport wheels on hers... I think they're ugly and I'm glad they're gone. :D

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be perfect. That's a slightly wider tire with about the same diameter as the stock 17in tires.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
LTD with 16. Yes, those are the "thick" wheels, that's what I call them. Thick Blocky 5 Spokes. Not that you can call them spokes. My Uncle's 06 Special Edition has it. With black tint on the sides. Regular ones don't have that black touch.

Do you remember 02 sport rims, the very first ones. They were ugly. 03-04 sports were ugly too, but they are OK.
Anyway---

I think 245s with any will rub a little on the inside, my 235s rub tiny bit at full turn.
Take a look at this, I think this is rubbing?

You must be registered for see images

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After purchasing my 04 new I replaced the stock 235/70/16's with 245/70/16 BridgeStone Revo's. I had no rubbing issues at all. Let us know what you plan to go with regarding brand.

miller2

Reaction score
After purchasing my 04 new I replaced the stock 235/70/16's with 245/70/16 BridgeStone Revo's. I had no rubbing issues at all. Let us know what you plan to go with regarding brand.

Probably the Pirelli Scorpion AT or the Toyo Open Country. I think the Toyo might have a slightly better highway ride.

Latest posts

Members online