Tire/Rim Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looking on here, I see a lot of posts about putting MOAB rims on to help with running a wider tire. But in my search, I was not able to determine why a MOAB rim helps. Is it due to a different backspace/offset combination? Would one be able to get a similar benefit using the factory 16x7's and a wheel spacer?

From what I could find, it appears the MOAB rim is 16x8 with a 5" BS, and a 0mm offset, while the factory 16x7 is a 5.5" BS and 41mm offset. Is all of that correct?

Just trying to figure out if I should be looking for a set of rims, or if I can keep my factory ones. Also, I see some folks running 265/70R16 tires...is that possible with an OME lift (and if needed, clevis spacers and top-plate)???

Just getting my ducks in a row.... :)

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I just noticed that Cragar Soft 8's are 4" BS, with -13mm offset....so now I'm really confused. That is a 1.5" difference between the factory Liberty rim.

What is the "ideal" backspace/rim width to run on a lifted Liberty?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First MOABs are not being used to run larger/wider tires, more for the looks.
Next the best wheel size is 16X7 with 4 inches of backspacing.
Running 265-70s on stock wheels would I would say not work well due to hitting the sway bar when turned.
I ran the 265-70s for a short while on Moabs of course with not one problem, with the 16x7s and 4 inch BS it should be about the same.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. So it sounds like it's more of a backspacing issue with running bigger tires. I was just wondering at what point too little backspacing start causing issues (fender well rub, or pinch weld rub.)

So if a 16x7 with 4" BS is "ideal", then wouldn't the OEM 16x7 rims with a 1.25" backspace be practically perfect?

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
OK. So it sounds like it's more of a backspacing issue with running bigger tires. I was just wondering at what point too little backspacing start causing issues (fender well rub, or pinch weld rub.)

So if a 16x7 with 4" BS is "ideal", then wouldn't the OEM 16x7 rims with a 1.25" backspace be practically perfect?

Many people run spidertrax spacers for this reason

Latest posts

Members online