Tire pressures (with MTRs, specifically)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of Treadwright/Hi-tech mud-terrain retreads that use Goodyear MTR(Load Range E) casings about a week ago and I'm trying to figure out what kind of pressure to run for normal driving, mostly highly with a fair amount of city driving as well. The tires say the max is 80psi but being somewhat new to off-roading and these types of tires and coming from a background of working on primarily import cars, that sounds really high to me. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
Shannon

droptine

Reaction score
For off-roading try 15-20 PSI. On-road about 33-36 PSI, but the old chalk test is best to confirm your optimum pressure. 80 PSI is the max pressure for the max load. You will never see that much weight on a Jeep.

I have a set of Treadwrights coming in this week, and I am curious to see how they perform. I went with the 245/75R16 M/T ULTRA.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did air them down to about 15 or so in the mud and they were awesome. You'll love the tires, I got the exact same ones :) I did some searching after posting this thread(reverse order, I know) and found a lot of Rubicon owners and Wrangler owners in general run 30-35psi on pavement, is the KJ not a bit heavier, thus requiring a little higher pressure? I forgot to mention I'm at 35psi all around right now.