Tire Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eastcoastpowerhouse

Reaction score
Hello,

i am new to the fourm so i just want to say hi first. But i also have a question i have 15x7 soft 8`s waiting to be put on my liberty but i am unsure the tire to buy. i was looking at the general grabbers at2. I have a lift going on also so i am unsure on the right choice i mean i would like some thing to fill out the gab but at the same time i have no idea what brand or size to get?
If any one could help me it would be great.

Thank You.

Matt

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

i am new to the fourm so i just want to say hi first. But i also have a question i have 15x7 soft 8`s waiting to be put on my liberty but i am unsure the tire to buy. i was looking at the general grabbers at2. I have a lift going on also so i am unsure on the right choice i mean i would like some thing to fill out the gab but at the same time i have no idea what brand or size to get?
If any one could help me it would be great.

Thank You.

Matt

well to help you decide we would need to know more
if you MUST have the rims then ,believe it or not, you will have to run a smaller OD tire than if you keep the stock 16" wheels
I know for a fact that if you have soft 8's ,15X7, with a Rustys spring lift then you can just barely fit a 30X9.5 and it will rub really bad at full stuff
Keep the OE wheels and you can run a 245/75 or 31" OD tire and it will rub less

Now as far as what tires to get will depend on what you want from them
Fair highway ride and mediocre off road traction at best then get AT's
Good highway ride and poor off road traction then get highway tires
Good off road traction and mediocre highway ride then get most MT's
GREAT off road traction and poor highway ride then get bias ply Super Swampers

Yeah it is about that simple

Knowing what lift you have ,how high it is, and if you have 2wd or 4wd will also help to point you in the right direction

ripper42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have cooper stt 245-75-16 a very good tire ya i do not know if 15 will work some do but there not alot that fit

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oops just saw in your sig that you have a Rustys lift
well like I said with those rims then 30X9.5's max and only for a short time then you will have sag issues which can be fixed with a clevis lift
the tires will rub REALLY bad in the rear if you do not extend your bump stops
They will hit the lip on the top of the wheel well and on the outer edge of the door also they will pull at your flairs pretty good
With the OE wheels they keep the rear tires in the wheel well better so you dont catch the lip out back

The front with those rims also needs attention ,pinch weld and fog lamp door adjustments will be needed

IMO keep the OE wheels and get the 245/75 size tire ,bigger and less issues
why would you not?

Eastcoastpowerhouse

Reaction score
well to help you decide we would need to know more
if you MUST have the rims then ,believe it or not, you will have to run a smaller OD tire than if you keep the stock 16" wheels
I know for a fact that if you have soft 8's ,15X7, with a Rustys spring lift then you can just barely fit a 30X9.5 and it will rub really bad at full stuff
Keep the OE wheels and you can run a 245/75 or 31" OD tire and it will rub less

Now as far as what tires to get will depend on what you want from them
Fair highway ride and mediocre off road traction at best then get AT's
Good highway ride and poor off road traction then get highway tires
Good off road traction and mediocre highway ride then get most MT's
GREAT off road traction and poor highway ride then get bias ply Super Swampers

Yeah it is about that simple

Knowing what lift you have ,how high it is, and if you have 2wd or 4wd will also help to point you in the right direction

hey,

i have the 15x7 soft 8s 4.5 Bs i think i will have to look at them in the am.
I have to put my 2.5inch lift on still along with the rims i was just waiting for every thing at once. i did some research before i bought the rims they SHOULD fit but with a very small room for error. As for 2wd or 4wd i have 4wd. im am running the bfg long trail TA`s 245/70r/16 on my stock rims now no lift.
i do plan on geting rid of the pinch weld in the front as for fog lights i have none stock just the hellas i plan to throw on the bumper. tire choice in it self i was looking for a good all around tire i understand that in theroy its one or another but i might go for the bfg AT`s.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off duty Ninja.

I heard several rumors that BFG's (I think TJKJ02 might give an opinion) are not very puncture resistant. The Toyo's I have seem to be a good A/T (10 ply) so far. I have only used 4WD twice and once was in an urban setting and I didn't realize I was only on 2 wheels. The second was because I didn't want to creep up a hill.

Eastcoastpowerhouse

Reaction score
Hey,
gunna go ahead and order my tires in the moring. But before i do i just wwant to make sure i found the right info.
I did look at the tire chart and exchange rate but i thought i would ask to be sure. im gunna get a 245/75/15 tire but i did see a 30x9.5x15 that i liked.
so my question is should i have any problems fiting a 30x9.5 it converts to about the same as the 245/75 but i just want to make sure.

-Matt

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,
gunna go ahead and order my tires in the moring. But before i do i just wwant to make sure i found the right info.
I did look at the tire chart and exchange rate but i thought i would ask to be sure. im gunna get a 245/75/15 tire but i did see a 30x9.5x15 that i liked.
so my question is should i have any problems fiting a 30x9.5 it converts to about the same as the 245/75 but i just want to make sure.

-Matt
Some 15" rims will hit the brake calipers. A few of the have the proper clearance but I believe they are primarily steel wheels. Of those few 15" rims that might fit the likelihood of them also having the proper backspace is pretty small.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

-Matt

yes
a 30X9.5R15 on a 15" rim ,that fits the KJ, will work with a Rustys spring lift
at first but I would do a clevis lift very soon or if you have a bunch of miles on the lift do it now or the tires up front will rub like crazy

Like I said the lower back spacing on the 15" wheels cause the rub more than the OD of the larger tires
a 245/75 R 16 (sixteen inch stock rim BS) will rub less than a 30X9.5 R 15 on a rim with less than 4" of BS
I have never seen a 15X7" wheel with more than 4" of BS
and a 245/75 R 16 is noticeably bigger than a 30X9.5 R 15

Just pointing out what I have seen

Eastcoastpowerhouse

Reaction score
Some 15" rims will hit the brake calipers. A few of the have the proper clearance but I believe they are primarily steel wheels. Of those few 15" rims that might fit the likelihood of them also having the proper backspace is pretty small.

Hey,
I have the soft 8`s which is a steel rim i belive? the BS of the rim is i belive 4.25 or 4.5 not sure off the top of my head i will check tho i did check the fitment of them before i mount the tires as im sure that any who has gotten rims before knows if you mount them you own them. But yes mine did fit but like i said its a close fit but not the worst ive ever seen.

yes
a 30X9.5R15 on a 15" rim ,that fits the KJ, will work with a Rustys spring lift
at first but I would do a clevis lift very soon or if you have a bunch of miles on the lift do it now or the tires up front will rub like crazy

Like I said the lower back spacing on the 15" wheels cause the rub more than the OD of the larger tires
a 245/75 R 16 (sixteen inch stock rim BS) will rub less than a 30X9.5 R 15 on a rim with less than 4" of BS
I have never seen a 15X7" wheel with more than 4" of BS
and a 245/75 R 16 is noticeably bigger than a 30X9.5 R 15

Just pointing out what I have seen

Thanx for information. My lift is not on yet i was waiting for the tires first so i might as well order the clevis lift to do every thing at once. But as for the tires for the 15inch would you recomend the 245/75 or the 30x9.5 or is it just six of one half dozen of another?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you actually mount the tires put the rims on the Jeep and turn them a few times to ensure they will not hit the calipers. I would focus more on the tire for the price rather than the actual size. 245/75R15 will probably be about .5 inch shorter than the 30x9.5. You might have to go with a skinnier tire due to the backspace. The mounting owning thing is something you should ask the tire shop, as not all are created equal.

Eastcoastpowerhouse

Reaction score
Before you actually mount the tires put the rims on the Jeep and turn them a few times to ensure they will not hit the calipers. I would focus more on the tire for the price rather than the actual size. 245/75R15 will probably be about .5 inch shorter than the 30x9.5. You might have to go with a skinnier tire due to the backspace. The mounting owning thing is something you should ask the tire shop, as not all are created equal.

Hello,

i have dry fitted the rim no problems there. but like i said in the other post there was small room for error. I am not worried about price on tires as i see it you need them so why sweat it. i would rather spend the money to get some thing i want then buy cheap tires and not have some thing i want. the mounting thing was just thrown out there as more or less some thing to say. every rim ive bought just always has said " if you mount them you buy them".

Matt

Latest posts

Members online