Timing chain life expectancy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marky38

Reaction score
What's the average life expectancy of the timing chain ect on the 3.7?..I have 210k on my 2007 Limited ..thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be a difficult question to answer, unless someone posted mileage relating to replacement.
https://www.jeepkj.com/search/368558/?q=timing+chain&o=relevanceHere is the forums search results for "timing chain" worth browsing.
Jeep would have us believe that it is life of the engine, but we know that is not the case.
They used nylon guides/tensioner etc and the chain stretches out eventually.
IMHO If my KJ had 210k miles it may be a good time to replace it.
In the link mentioned above there are some parts recommendations as well.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to do mine on the 06 shortly.

Ever since we popped a rocker and lifter, the front of the engine has been sounding like a hay baler. I am thinking maybe a bad guide or tensioner. The chain was kind of slack on the right side head when I was changing all the lifters. it runs well, but just sounds bad. The 04 with less miles sounds much better.

Tin Man

Reaction score
The chain itself might last "forever", but the guides and tensioners are probably gone long before that. Mine had the nylon guide crumbled into small pieces and the complete set including chain, guides, pinions etc. wasn't too expensive so it was easy decision to change everything.

Lobato

Reaction score
I’m going to do mine on the 06 shortly.

Ever since we popped a rocker and lifter, the front of the engine has been sounding like a hay baler. I am thinking maybe a bad guide or tensioner. The chain was kind of slack on the right side head when I was changing all the lifters. it runs well, but just sounds bad. The 04 with less miles sounds much better.
Mine has actually the same thing. It sounds really bad, but there's no loss of power, no vibration, no check engine light. I was replacing the lifters the other day and noticed that there was quite a bit of slack on timing chain, on the passenger side - although when I rotated the engine by hand there was no slack at anymore. Mine is a 2006 with almost 200k miles on the clock.