Timing Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been asked (I didn't find it anywhere) but is now a god time to change my timing belt? I have 62,*** miles on the Jeep. I'm thinking this was supposed to be done between 50-60,000 miles? Thanks in advance.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02LibertyLimitedChick said:
Forgive me if this has already been asked (I didn't find it anywhere) but is now a god time to change my timing belt? I have 62,*** miles on the Jeep. I'm thinking this was supposed to be done between 50-60,000 miles? Thanks in advance.
Well unless you have the 4-clinder you don't have a timing belt,you do have a timing chain, 2 to be exact and will last a long time and are a very labor intensive job to replace.If you are referring about the serpitine belt(the one that goes around the A/C,water pump,and alternator) then yes it's probally time to change it.I changed my serp belt at 20,000 miles than threw the old one in the back of the KJ just incase to one under the hood ever failed.If the serp belt breaks you loose everything,power steering,alternator,and the water pump.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
Well unless you have the 4-clinder you don't have a timing belt,you do have a timing chain, 2 to be exact and will last a long time and are a very labor intensive job to replace.If you are referring about the serpitine belt(the one that goes around the A/C,water pump,and alternator) then yes it's probally time to change it.I changed my serp belt at 20,000 miles than threw the old one in the back of the KJ just incase to one under the hood ever failed.If the serp belt breaks you loose everything,power steering,alternator,and the water pump.

Ok now I feel like a *******! lol I should have known that. ](*,) THANK YOU for the info!!! Yes, then I'd be referring to the serpentine belt. I'm off to go see where I can find one for the best price. Is that hard to change?

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would change my own, but I don't know if you should. You couldn't even get sidesteps or a bull bar on in under a day each O:) All depends on your skill level and tool collection. It's an under an hour job and a cheap belt... I am always one to replace it every 25k or so, except one time the SOB was burning up and creating one awful smell because it was a used belt someone had returned that did not look used...that one got swapped a little early

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not hard at all,takes about 2 min to do.You just need a 15mm wrench or 15mm socket/ratchet to change.You have a diagram of how to change it and how it goes on on the raditor.Put the wrench on the tensioner bolt(the swing arm below the A/C pump) and turn right(clockwise) to undo the tension and remove belt,to install is the reverse.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will suprise all and do it myself. I've done alot of maintence under the hood believe it or not. I found a Goodyear/Gatorback one for $40...hopefully that's a good price....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will suprise all and do it myself. I've done alot of maintence under the hood believe it or not. I found a Goodyear/Gatorback one for $40...hopefully that's a good price....
Yep $40 is a good price,it's really not that hard.Just make sure you use the little diagram on the radiator,it's easy to put it on wrong and then you'll be turning everything backwards :-k .If you change the oil,put step bars on,and put that bullbar on this is a walk in the park.

2003KJ

Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
2003KJ said:
Just make sure you don't over tension the belt, or under tension it.
That's not possible with our auto tensioners,they use a spring to put the tension on the belt.Older cars with V-belts you have to watch out for over/under tensioning.

I havent changed the belt on mine yet, and probably wouln't for another 20K or so, as it still looks good, but that's definitely good to know!

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait wait wait! I just remembered, we have to get a special belt because ours will slip if we go through water!

Oh yeah, and the exploding gas tank. Funny enough, the KK's debut mentioned that the tank is now centered on the car.

2003KJ

Reaction score
the_titan said:
Wait wait wait! I just remembered, we have to get a special belt because ours will slip if we go through water!

Oh yeah, and the exploding gas tank. Funny enough, the KK's debut mentioned that the tank is now centered on the car.

I was wondering how long it'd be before that came back up again..... crazy.gif