Time for new headlamps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Jen and I are sick of our factory headlamps.
Two words describe them best.
THEY SUCK!
The best light output (Which is still meagre IMO) is with a set of 100/80 watt Hella Off Road bulbs. With dedicated relay/circuit. And yes the headlamps are adjusted properly!
Trust me, I've tried virtually every high quality bulb available.
Including PIAA, Bosch/Osram/Sylvania. At the end of the day, the reflectors are crap.
A H.I.D. conversion is out of the question. The KJ's headlamp reflector is not designed for a HID lamp capsule.

Converting to another vehicle manufactures OEM HID Projector doesn't really blow my hair back due to the fact that an LED setup is going to be far superior and out last a HID setup.
I've even thought of converting to the better H4 Euro spec Liberty headlamps but by the time I get them here and clear customs and pay 12% in taxes, I may as well spring for LED headlamp units.

I've been looking at three different LED headlamps to retro fit/custom fit into the existing headlamp area.

1. Truck-Lite - Catalog Product : 7'' Round LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics Design
You must be registered for see images attach

2. Truck-Lite - Catalog Product : 7'' Round 12v LED Headlamp

3. http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/h...par-56-led-headlight-with-motorcycle-ring-kit

Not an inexpensive modification. Around $700.00-$900.00 per pair.
But in the last five years I've spent already over half that on Halogen bulbs.

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use the second ones, the half and half design, in some of our HMMWVs. I am working on finding a pair that has gone missing :flamingdevil:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you actually see the LED headlights in action you'll never want to even mess with HID's ever again.Plus the LED's will last 5+ times longer then the HID's will and will be 100% vibration resistant.

Absolutely! you're preaching to the choir :)
note to self: finish the LED light bar build!

Sure thing, Ryan. If I had the money I would've ordered a pair of those JWS lights a while ago :icon_twisted:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think the KJ's headlights are bad, my '99 Prix's were horrible. KJ is easily twice as good as those turds.

ndrantotiana

Reaction score
Is these headlamp suit a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD

Hello everybody.
Thank you for all of your replies but I wonder if one these headlamps are suitable for 2006 Liberty. Could someone reply please?
Thank you :).

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the trucklite ones but they are about 1/2" smaller diameter wise then the kj. Did not want to mess with a custom installation and have them then not aim right. Would be cool though.

ndrantotiana

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.Do you know about the JW Speaker light? Will it need any custom installation or just a plug and go :emotions34:?

jdlavin

05 daily
Reaction score
Jen and I are sick of our factory headlamps.
Two words describe them best.
THEY SUCK!
The best light output (Which is still meagre IMO) is with a set of 100/80 watt Hella Off Road bulbs. With dedicated relay/circuit. And yes the headlamps are adjusted properly!
Trust me, I've tried virtually every high quality bulb available.
Including PIAA, Bosch/Osram/Sylvania. At the end of the day, the reflectors are crap.
A H.I.D. conversion is out of the question. The KJ's headlamp reflector is not designed for a HID lamp capsule.

Converting to another vehicle manufactures OEM HID Projector doesn't really blow my hair back due to the fact that an LED setup is going to be far superior and out last a HID setup.
I've even thought of converting to the better H4 Euro spec Liberty headlamps but by the time I get them here and clear customs and pay 12% in taxes, I may as well spring for LED headlamp units.

I've been looking at three different LED headlamps to retro fit/custom fit into the existing headlamp area.

1. Truck-Lite - Catalog Product : 7'' Round LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics Design

2. Truck-Lite - Catalog Product : 7'' Round 12v LED Headlamp

3. http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/h...par-56-led-headlight-with-motorcycle-ring-kit

Not an inexpensive modification. Around $700.00-$900.00 per pair.
But in the last five years I've spent already over half that on Halogen bulbs.
My thoughts and experiance: don't switch entirely to led bulbs. Here in Palmer Divide area of CO, winter weather is an issue just like MI. LEDs don't create enough heat to melt ice/snow from lights. You end up stopping every so often to scrape off yr lights. I've switched back to halogen bulbs in my headlights and a very white spectrum fog light. These are deer detectors more than anything, the actual hole in the grill impedes the spread. Used the tow mounts to build up a cross bar. Everything from tow hooks to bull bars mount up in the same area. I've added 2 amber led pods for blowing snow/fog etc. The equivalent of swapping your goggle lenses, being able to dial in best light for weather is huge.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts and experiance: don't switch entirely to led bulbs. Here in Palmer Divide area of CO, winter weather is an issue just like MI. LEDs don't create enough heat to melt ice/snow from lights. You end up stopping every so often to scrape off yr lights. I've switched back to halogen bulbs in my headlights and a very white spectrum fog light. These are deer detectors more than anything, the actual hole in the grill impedes the spread. Used the tow mounts to build up a cross bar. Everything from tow hooks to bull bars mount up in the same area. I've added 2 amber led pods for blowing snow/fog etc. The equivalent of swapping your goggle lenses, being able to dial in best light for weather is huge.
Your a bit late to the party with this one, the thread is 11 years old!