Ticking from cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karlosfandango

Reaction score
Now this might just be my OCD when it comes to strange noises that 95% of other owners wouldn't notice, I spent a day trying to sort out a rattle creak noise that was driving me mad by having the wife drive up and down a rough track with me sat in the boot.

I've had the Jeep about two months, I'm fairly confident that it didn't make the ticking noise when I first picked it up. It is only really there on start up and lasts until warmed up. It's probably nothing but I'm wondering if it could be because of the oil I used when I first got it.

I changed air filter, oil filter, oil, fuel filter, blocked the erg off cleaned the map sensor and did the elephant hose mod so it should be running as well as it can. It's an 04 with 86000 miles and has been looked after judging by its condition and service history.

I used a generic oil that was recommend by the parts suppling website 10w40 but semi synthetic. Would this be a possible reason for the ticking? It sounds like it comes from underneath, it's from the engine as stationary it makes the noise and increases when revved.

It could all just be my dog like hearing as most of the time the wife never notices but saying that a wheel could fall off and she'd merrily bounce down the road!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be using a fully synthetic oil like a 5W40. Shell Helix Ultra.
You may have a sticking hydrolic tappet although then the sound will come from the top of the engine.

Is the Serpentine belt jumping about...maybe the clutch on the alternator is starting to fail.

Does your 2004 Export model have the variable-vane turbo or the fixed vane turbo like my 2002 CRD has?

I had a rattle coming from the front right....behind the steering wheel on our RHD jeeps.. that turned out to be the turbo dump valve that the fixed vane turbo uses.