"Thumping" noise in the front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetmech84

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here and am finding a ton of very helpful info. So first, I'd like to say thank you to all you fellow jeepers that take the time to help out. I have a 2007 Liberty Sport 4X4 with a 6 speed manual transmission that is kind of stumping me lately. I have a "thumping" sound from somewhere in the front of the jeep. At first I thought it was a bad tire or wheel bearing but my mechanic said it was all good along with the ball joints and shocks. So I joined this forum and after a lot of reading I removed front propeller shaft and no more noise. I drove it for a couple of weeks that way just to make sure then replaced the rear CV joint. No help with the noise but I'm glad I changed it anyway - the boot was practically gone and it was full of everything but grease. So I've been reading more on this forum and poking around trying to find the problem. We got snow last night so on the way to work and while it was thumping away I put it in 4WD and the noise quit immediately. Never came back the remaining 15 miles to work. Drove home in 2WD and the noise was back. Any ideas from here would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the front CV on the front shaft went too? That's just a guess. How did the front one feel when you had the shaft out? Otherwise, how's the front diff fluid and tcase fluid?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe cv axles, or I was thinking it could be motor mounts or transmission mounts as they tend to dry rot and get cracked over time, and they just wear out.

jetmech84

Reaction score
Good ideas. I did check the front cv and it was tight and smooth. I poked around on it some after work tonight and noticed something else. When I push up and toward the rear of the inner right cv axle it moves quite a bit and seems to pivot a little on the half shaft. Not sure if that a problem but the left inner cv joint is pretty solid. What I cant figure is if this is the problem causing the thumping sound why did it go away when I removed the front drive shaft ?