Thumping noise in front tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBssj5

Reaction score
We were on our way home from dinner and I start to hear a thumping noise and can feel it by my feet. It just started and not sure what it was. I pulled over to see if something was stuck and pulled on the tire to see if it was loose. When we came home I looked at it more and all looks normal. It seems to thump more with speed but if I hit the breaks it stops. I'm thinking wheel hub but wanted to see if someone else had this issue and a fix. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!!

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the front drive shaft look real close at the t-case side (back side).

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a similar sound/feel, eventually lead to clicking, grinding and whirring noises and it turned out to be that CV mentioned above.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my KK the dealer said the front cv and axels were bad and had to be replaced. being done under warranty

BigBssj5

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to get under the jeep on Sunday. I looked at the CV joints and they looked fine. I grabbed and tried to see if the driveshaft had any wiggle and there was none. I took it out for a quick spin and nothing. I was on my way food shopping and drove a block and the noise/feel came back. Maybe they are starting to go bad. Any other ideas? At worse I'll take it to my mechanic and see what he says. Thanks for the input!!

BigBssj5

Reaction score
Did you actually look at the rear boot on the front driveshaft?

I did not take the driveshaft off. I spun it around several rotations and it looked fine. I was thinking of pulling it off to get a better look at the joints and to take it for a spin to see if the feel comes back.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were on our way home from dinner and I start to hear a thumping noise and can feel it by my feet. It just started and not sure what it was. I pulled over to see if something was stuck and pulled on the tire to see if it was loose. When we came home I looked at it more and all looks normal. It seems to thump more with speed but if I hit the breaks it stops. I'm thinking wheel hub but wanted to see if someone else had this issue and a fix. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!!

Just had this happen to me in my Dodge stratus, thumping noise and would stop when I hit the brakes. It just started all of a sudden. Try re-torqueing you lug nuts, 3 of mine were loose! All snugged up and it was quiet again. Weird becuase I am quite **** about torqueing my lug nuts and then doing it again in 50-100 miles....

It's worth a shot.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe some one was interrupted trying to seal your wheels and you just don't know.

Members online

No members online now.